School nursing

School nurses work in partnership with families, schools, social care and other health professionals, to support children and young people to make sure that their health needs are being met.

They visit schools regularly, offering health information, advice and support to pupils, parents and staff, as well as offering health promotion activities in the classroom.

The school nursing service can also see children for individual health assessments if necessary. If you're worried about your child's development, you or your child's teacher can ask for them to be assessed.

Children and young people can also access school nurses independently via ‘drop ins’ or teaching sessions in school.

What school nurses can help with

Your school health team will be delighted to help you or your child with any of the following - no problem is too small:

  • assessment of health needs
  • training of school staff to manage allergies and medical conditions
  • school entry health assessment
  • health promotion/education
  • involvement in schools' programme of personal, social and health education (PSHE)
  • safeguarding children
  • drop-in health advice shops
  • assessment and support for bed wetting
  • parenting support
  • promotion of vaccination and immunisation
  • referral to specialist services

We always treat your child's health information confidentially and only share it with appropriate others when it's of benefit to your child's welfare. In the majority of cases, we'll ask your permission to share information outside the school health team.

Referrals to the school nursing team

All families with children aged 5-19 years, who are either registered with a Barnsley GP or live in Barnsley, are offered the universal healthy child programme, which is delivered by the 0-19 service. 

Referrals for support with health and wellbeing issues above and beyond the routine universal Healthy Child Programme will be accepted from service users, families, early years settings, schools, college, GPs, social care and other allied health professionals.

If you want to make a referral, please ask us for a referral form using our online enquiry form. Before you make a referral, make sure you get consent from the young person and their parents.

If you've recently moved into the area, please call us and we'll put you in touch with your local 0-19 team.

School doctors

The associate specialist in community paediatrics (school doctor) advises on health issues that affect a child's education from nursery to school leaving age.

Each school is allocated a school doctor. They are trained specifically in child development and see children referred to them. You'll always be asked for your consent before a referral is made and no child is seen without a parent being present.  

Many children will never need to see the school doctor, but children can be referred by other health professionals, teachers, and educational psychologists or at a parent's request. 

The school doctor will review children as necessary to update any advice given to the school.

Examples of problems that may be assessed include physical disability, behaviour problems and children absent from school due to a medical problem.

If you're concerned that your child's progress is being affected by a medical issue, talk to their teacher and they can refer you to the school doctor.

Useful links/documents