Support for children with behavioural, emotional and social difficulties

If your child has behavioural, emotional or social difficulties that are causing you concern, talk to your child’s class teacher, special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) or headteacher. They can offer you support.

They may want to develop an individual behaviour management plan for your child and involve other services such as an educational psychologist or the behaviour support service.

Contact your child’s school for more information.

Accessing support

Your child’s school, or other agencies working with your child, can refer you to the behaviour support service, where a team of professionals will discuss your child's needs and determine what support to offer.

Support from educational psychologists

If an educational psychologist becomes involved, they may observe your child at school and sometimes at home, talk to your child about school and home life, and use activities to assess your child’s progress and general abilities.

Help from the behaviour support service

If your child is between four and 16 and is withdrawn, at risk of inclusion, being bullied or is bullying another child, you can get help from the behaviour support service.

They'll work with you and your child's school and any other services involved to develop a care package to suit your child's needs. They give advice and guidance, and promote the development of positive learning environments and the use of Boxall profiling and Nurture.