The Barnsley Accreditation Scheme is for private sector landlords and managing agents. It’s designed to acknowledge and promote good property standards, good management practices, and responsible tenants
Membership is free for landlords with one property and costs £50 a year for landlords with multiple properties. There are a range of benefits to becoming a member and getting your property accredited.
- Recognition as a quality operator in the private rented sector.
- A membership certificate, information pack, and letters for tenants informing them of the accreditation status.
- Free advice on tenancy issues, issues related to our regulatory services and anti-social behaviour.
- £100 saving on (mandatory licence fees for Houses in Multiple Occupation).
- Free ‘To Let’ sign boards, and free advertising of members’ contact details on Barnsley Council's website.
- Member liaison emails and special events.
- Free tenant reference checking facility for previous Berneslai Homes tenants
- Property Accreditation Grants of up to £500 per property (subject to availability).
- Access to ‘Resident only’ parking
There’s a full list of the landlords and managing agents who are currently members here.
How it works
Membership is given on the condition that the landlord or managing agent is fit and proper. They will be asked to sign a declaration stating that they have good management practices and good property standards. This includes things like making sure that staircases have handrails, properties have good central heating systems, and gas safety certificates are provided.
Landlords can also register their eligible properties for accreditation status. This means that the properties meet a higher standard, and can be used as a marketing tool to promote the quality of the property. To make sure standards are being met all properties with accreditation status will be given random checks.
How to apply
To get a property accredited download our registration form.
Once you’ve printed the form you can either scan and email it to us at BHPMS@barnsley.gov.uk, or post it to us at this address:
Property Management Service
Floor 10 Gateway Plaza
PO Box 627
If you’re interested in getting an accreditation grant, please download our application form, which includes the criteria we use to assess applications by.
If you’re already registered with the scheme and you need to update us about changes to your property portfolio please download our property portfolio update form and send it back to us.
Barnsley landlord event
Thanks to everyone who attended our private landlord event on 29 March 2017. If you missed it, see slides from the event here.
To register your interest in attending any future events, please fill in our enquiry form.