Homelessness and housing advice

We can provide advice and help if you are homeless or at risk of losing your home. 

If you cannot carry on living where you are and have nowhere else that it is reasonable for you to stay, we will look at your circumstances to see how we can help.

Help and advice we offer:

  • homelessness
  • risk of becoming homeless
  • rent arrears
  • domestic violence
  • landlord/tenant disputes
  • loss of employment
  • anti-social behaviour/harassment

Our office hours are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 10am to 5pm Wednesday 10.30am to 5pm and Friday 10am to 4.30pm.  Outside of these hours we do have an emergency homeless team who can be contacted on 0844 9841800.

You may like to read the homelessness advice pages on the Gov.uk website for more information.

Help to prevent homelessness

You may be able to get housing benefit to help you pay for rent.  Find out more about how to apply for housing benefit.

If you already receive housing benefit but are still struggling to pay your rent you may be able to get an extra payment called a discretionary housing payment.  

Private rented housing 

If your landlord has told you they are ending your tenancy and you do not have anywhere else to stay you should contact us straight away.  You can read more about what to do when your tenancy ends at Gov.uk

Help for rough sleepers

If you are sleeping rough or know someone who is sleeping rough visit Streetlink to report this or to get help. 

Anyone sleeping rough is offered overnight accommodation during severe weather. This is usually when the temperature falls below zero degrees, or it feels colder than zero degrees.

To get help for anyone sleeping rough:

  • phone the Housing Team on (01226) 773870 during office hours
  • phone 08449841800 out of hours
  • or contact Streetlink at https://streetlink.force.com

Other organisations that can help 

We work with a number of organisations to find suitable housing for people who are at risk of homelessness.  We can give you details of these when you get in touch with us or you can find out more about their services by visiting their websites: