Your future, your next steps, your gateway to a more fulfilling job
From working out what job you'd like to do, to securing a job and flourishing, we've got all the information you need right here to help you get started. Find out more about how we can support you to advance in Barnsley.
Youth Voice Census 2021
Give your views on Youth Employment with the Youth Voice Census 2021. If you are 16-24 years old please take half an hour to share anonymously your experiences of life, study and work.
The survey closes on Tuesday 1 June 2021.
Starting my own business
Launchpad Barnsley provides free business support and advice to anyone with an idea for a business or those who have already started a business and have under 5 employees.
They offer 1-2-1 support as well as running lots of business workshops to help you develop your ideas and understand everything involved. Courses range from Business Planning and bookkeeping right through to social media and digital marketing.
Sheffield Hallam graduate start-ups
- Hallam Graduate Start-ups will provide you with the support and resources you need to kick start your business venture.
Support with redundancy
Barnsley's Employment Support Helpdesk
- Barnsley's Employment Support Helpdesk offers support if you have lost your job, are out of work, employed and at risk of redundancy, or employed and want to do some free training to help progress at work or get a new job. Email the employment support helpdesk.
Sheffield City Region
- Sheffield City Region offers support and advice if you are facing redundancy.
Redundancy support for employers
- Skills Support for the Workforce and Redundancy
- GOV.UK offer a range of support and advice if you are facing redundancy.
Support for businesses
Be Well @ Work
Barnsley Council, along with the other South Yorkshire councils, is offering free of charge support for businesses to achieve accreditation to this new South Yorkshire award. Find out more about Be Well @ Work.
Business Growth Hub
- Business Growth Hub aims to simplify all the regional and national business support that is available to businesses, so that you as a business owner/manager always know where to go to find the right support.
- Enterprising Barnsley can support you with business support and business start-up, relocation and growth.
- Support when making redundancies support on enterprising Barnsley.
- Skills Bank provides employers access to high-quality training and funding to support skills training.
Support for Schools
I Know I Can
- I know I Can Barnsley aims to build confidence, create dreams and aspirations, raise qualification levels and strengthen your life skills.
South Yorkshire Futures
- South Yorkshire Futures is a social mobility partnership committed to improving education and raising aspiration for young people in South Yorkshire – particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Over 19 support with learning and careers
There is a range of support available for you if you are over the age of 19.
Adult Skills and Community Learning
Adult Skills can support you to improve your skills, get a qualification, or see how learning can improve your wellbeing.
Whether you're looking to gain skills to further your career, help you to get a job, or improve your wellbeing, we've got something for everyone. Our courses are all delivered in a supportive and friendly environment and cater for all levels from beginners through to advanced.
- Find out more about Adult Skills and Community Learning.
- You can contact Adult Skills online, call (01226) 775270 or 07385 399853 Monday to Friday.
Adult Courses in Barnsley
We have a range of providers across Barnsley who offer adult courses including:
- Adult Skills and Community Learning
- Barnsley College
- University Campus Barnsley
- Northern College
- Workers Educational Association (WEA)
If you have lost your job, are out of work, employed and at risk of redundancy, or employed and want to do some free training to help progress at work or get a new job, employment and skills have a team of people able to give you some free support via our helpdesk.
Contact Employment support online or email them Employmentsupport@barnsley.gov.uk.
Find out more about employment support, redundancy skills and training.