Find the right job
There are a range of resources to ensure you find the job that's right for you.
Adult courses in Barnsley
Find out more about a range of adult courses in Barnsley to help you develop and learn new skills.
If you already know what career you'd like to do, Apprenticeships allow you to gain first-hand experience while studying. Apprenticeships offer real jobs where you get paid at least minimum wage and gain experience and qualifications at the same time.
- Life long learning have a range of resources to support your apprenticeship
- Find apprenticeship vacancies in your area on GOV.UK.
- Barnsley College apprenticeships are a good way to study and work together.
- Find out more about higher and degree apprenticeships.
Civil Service jobs
GOV.UK's Civil Service jobs displays available opportunities to work in central government organisations.
Civil Service fast stream
The Civil Service Fast Stream is the Civil Service’s flagship leadership development programme, developing people from a wide range of backgrounds who have the potential to become our future senior leaders.
Future Learn is a great place to access some free on-line learning from industry experts and universities. Have a go! Learn new hobbies, new skills and gain career-changing expertise, all from your own home.
- Future Learn offers a range of online courses to develop your skills and knowledge. It also has free online learning from industry experts and universities.
Health and social care careers
Job vacancies in your area
- Use GOV.UK to find job vacancies in your area.
Joining the forces
Kickstart scheme for 16-24 year olds
- The Kickstart Scheme provides funding to employers to create job placements for 16 to 24 year olds on Universal Credit. Please speak to your job coach first if this is something you are interested in.
National Careers Service
- Find out more about National Careers Service carers, jobs and employment support.
- National Careers Service's Skills Toolkit offers free courses to help you learn new skills or change jobs.
Prince's Trust - Get Into Programme
- The Prince’s Trust works with employers such as the NHS, Marks and Spencer and HSBC to help 16 to 30 year olds access new jobs and build their employability skills. This programme will help you develop your CV and interview skills. Some courses include a trial shift with potential job offers available at the end.
Prince's Trust - Get Started Programme
- If your not sure what you want to do, the Prince’s Trust Get Started Program works with employers such as Sony and ASOS to give you a taster of what it's like to work in different industries. This programme is for people aged 16-25 and out of work, education or training.
RISE Graduate Programme
- Rise Graduate program offers a range of support to help graduates into jobs, placements & internships with SME’s in Sheffield City Region.
The supported internship programme is a structured one-year study programme, based with an employer that's tailored to the needs of the young person taking the course. It's delivered by a partnership of an education provider, an employer and a job coach (provided by the education provider or Employment and Volunteering Service).
- T-Levels are new 2 year courses which follow GCSEs and are equivalent to 3 A level.
A Traineeships is a skills development programme that includes a work placement.
- A work placement (normally 4 weeks to 6 months)
- Basic skills (English and maths)
- Pre-employment training (personal development, health and safety, job preparation skills)
- Real-life job interview and reference)
ITS have secured funding to offer traineeships for 16 to 24-year-olds, find out more about Independent Training Solutions (ITS).
Work experience gives you the opportunity to find out all about the world of work, get a taste of what's involved in particular roles with us, and makes a great addition to your CV. It can vary in structure and length - from as little as half a day, right up to a few weeks long.
Work placements will be tailored to the learner and couple be across the following sectors:
- Service industries
Find out more about work placements at Barnsley Council, or email email@example.com for advice and support on sourcing a placement.
Volunteering with us has lots of benefits and can help you:
- gain confidence and build relationships
- meet new people
- make a difference to people, communities and society
- become part of the community
- learn new skills
- take on new challenges
- Find out more about volunteering at Barnsley Council.
- You can also help out in your local community through Love Where You Live.
- Barnsley CVS offer one to one meetings to people who want to find out what they can do as a volunteer. You can also find out what volunteering roles are available.
- Join Reach Volunteering to explore volunteer opportunities.
10 reasons for choosing a job
Making a list of what's important to you can help with the 10 reasons for choosing a job.