Alcohol licences

A personal licence is required by the person responsible for the sale of alcohol from premises. This is in addition to the premises licence.

A person applying for a Personal Licence must be at least 18 years of age and must usually live within the borough boundary.

To apply you must complete both the application form and the disclosure of convictions and declaration form. You should also hold a recognised training qualification and must submit your qualification certificate.

The licence will last for an indefinite duration (unless revoked or surrendered). It will be in two parts.

One part of the personal licence will include a photograph of the holder, name and address of the holder, a unique number, details of the council issuing the licence along with an identifier of that authority, and an expiry date. 

The second part will be in paper form and will contain similar information as mentioned above, but will not contain a photograph of the holder. This part will also contain details of any relevant convictions. 

How much it costs

The fee for a Personal Licence is £37 and is recognised throughout England and Wales. It is important to note that unless the application forms are correctly completed and are accompanied by the licensing qualification, criminal conviction or criminal record certificate and licence fee, then your application may be rejected and returned to you.

How to apply

The Home Office Alcohol Licensing web site has a wide range of application forms available for Personal Licences, Premises Licence and Club Premises Certificate grants and variations, in both PDF and Microsoft Word versions to assist you.

  1. Complete and sign the appropriate application form. The application may be typed or written legibly in black ink.
  2. Enclose a completed disclosure of criminal convictions and declaration form. 
  3. Enclose a cheque for the fee of £37, payable to Barnsley MBC. 
    (Your application will not be considered to be valid without receipt of the necessary payment.)
  4. Enclose your licensing qualification.
  5. Enclose two passport-sized photographs, one of which must be endorsed as a true likeness of the applicant.
  6. Enclose a Basic DBS certificate issued no earlier than one calendar month before the submission of the application to the council.
  7. Completed application forms must be submitted to the council by post, along with any accompanying documents that are required, to the address below.  

Your application will not be considered to be valid without receipt of the necessary payment.

Supporting information

If you have a criminal conviction

When applying for a personal licence you must submit either a disclosure certificate of criminal convictions or a criminal record certificate, any of which must not be more than one month old.  If it is more than one month old, your application will be rejected and you will have to obtain a new disclosure or check.

The criminal conviction certificate is a basic Criminal Records Disclosure.  You can contact Basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) by telephone on 03000 200 190 or visit the website for more information.  

If the applicant fails to meet the relevant or foreign offences criteria, the licensing authority must notify the Chief Officer of Police for their area. The Chief Officer of Police then has 14 days to consider whether, having regard to the nature of the convictions, that the grant of a personal licence would undermine the crime prevention objective. If he feels that this is the case he will then issue an objection notice which must be within the 14 day period. The licensing authority must then hold a hearing to consider the notice, unless all parties agree that this is unnecessary.

The council may reject the application if it considers it necessary for the promotion of the crime prevention objective to do so, or grant the application in any other case. 

Accredited personal licence qualification and training courses

The Secretary of State has accredited a number of Personal Licence qualifications under the Licensing Act 2003.

For information on the licensing qualifications, costs and availability in your area visit Accredited Personal Licence qualification providers

Photo specification

Photographs must be:

  1. taken against a light background so that the applicant's features are distinguishable and contrast against the background
  2. 45mm x 35mm in size (ie passport size)
  3. full face uncovered and without sunglasses and, unless the applicant wears a head covering due to religious beliefs, without a head covering
  4. on photographic paper, and
  5. one of the photographs must be endorsed with a statement verifying its likeness to the applicant by:
    - the chief executive of the licensing justices for the relevant licensing authority or
    - a solicitor or notary or
    - an individual with a professional qualification or
    - a person with standing in the community eg a bank or building society official, police officer, civil servant or minister of religion.

Lost or stolen Personal Licences

If your personal licence has been lost or stolen, you must report it to the police. Once you have done this, you must also notify the us of the loss or theft in writing, quoting the police reference number and enclosing a replacement licence fee of £10.50 (your cheque should be made payable to Barnsley MBC). A replacement licence will be issued to you by post.

You can write to us at:

Legal Services
PO Box 634
S70 9GG