Notification of interest

If you're the freeholder, leaseholder or occupier of a property which has a premises licence in accordance with the Licensing Act 2003, you may want to tell us of your interest in the property. We'll then tell you when we receive a licensing application for the property.

It's not a legal requirement for you to tell us about your interest in the property.

If you apply for a notification of interest we'll tell you of any changes to the statutory register which relate to those premises, for 12 months from the date of your application. This includes all applications as listed in Schedule 3 of the Licensing Act 2003, for:

  • premises licences
  • club premises certificates
  • provisional statements
  • temporary event notices

You can renew your application at the end of the 12 month period.

Who can apply?

A person (including a business or company) with a property interest in any premises within in our area can give notice of their interest. This could include:

  • the freeholder or leaseholder
  • a legal mortgagee in respect of the premises
  • a person in occupation of the premises
  • any other person as prescribed by the Secretary of State


The annual fee to be notified of licensing matters is £21.

How to apply

You can apply to us for a notification of interest if the premises is within our licensing area. You can apply online or by post.


You can apply and pay online on the GOV.UK website. You'll need to download a copy of the application form and fill this in using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

By post

You can apply by post by sending your completed application form to: Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, Licensing, Legal Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG.

Please make sure you enclose a cheque for the correct amount, made payable to Barnsley MBC. Your application isn't valid without the inclusion of the necessary payment.

What happens next?

The notice has effect for 12 months and you can give a new notice every year.

Whilst the notice has effect, if any change relating to the premises is made to the Licensing Public Register, we'll notify you if you've registered an interest in the matter to which the change relates. We'll also notify you of your right to request a copy of the information contained in any entry in the register.

In cases relating to interim authority notices we'll make sure these are dealt with promptly.

Trade associations


If you want to make a complaint about a licensed premises please contact us.

Please also see our reviews of premises licences.