Private hire business licences

If you run a taxi business or would like to start a taxi business, where bookings are taken from customers and recorded by the operator, then you'll need a licence to do so.

We'll only grant you a licence if:

  • we're satisfied that you're a fit and proper person to hold such a licence; and
  • we're sure that the operation of the business will not cause nuisance or obstruction problems to neighbouring premises.

You may need planning permission to run a taxi business from a premises, this is separate to your application for a licence.

If you're applying for an operator's licence to run a business from a council house or other rented property you'll need to have the permission of the landlord.

How to apply

New operator's licence

You can apply for a new operator's licence by downloading the application form. You'll need to provide:

  • proof of ID, such as a current passport or driving licence
  • planning approval documents (in certain cases)
  • DBS certificate (see below)

You'll need to make an appointment to visit our duty office by calling (01226) 773555.

Renewing an operator's licence

To renew your operator's licence download the renewal form.

Send your completed form to: Licensing, Legal Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG.

Disclosure and Barring (DBS) checks

If you're not already a licensed private hire or Hackney Carriage driver, you'll need to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. To arrange a DBS check contact our DBS service on 01226 773428.


A one year private hire operator licence is £63.  

A five year private hire operator licence is £127.

The same fee applies regardless of the number of vehicles operating.