Brexit process and planning
The Withdrawal Agreement
As it stands the UK will leave the European Union at 11pm on 29 March 2019.
Keeping up to date
Planning for the EU exit in Barnsley
We’re working on local and regional planning for leaving the EU. We’re part of the South Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum (LRF), a multi-agency partnership made up of representatives from local public services, including the emergency services, local authorities, the NHS, the Environment Agency and others.
The LRF has been planning to mitigate any disruption that may be caused by the EU exit.
Our media statements
Information for residents
There’s lots of information on the Government’s website to help you to understand how leaving the EU may affect you and your family, and what you can do to get ready.
- Work - includes workplace rights and working in the EU
- Going and being abroad - includes passports, foreign travel advice, pet travel and mobile roaming fees
- Transport - includes driving licences, vehicle insurance and flying to the EU
- Environment - includes environmental standards and food labels
- Business and industry - includes consumer rights, banking and selling online
- Education, training and skills - includes studying abroad and Erasmus+
EU citizens’ rights
If you’re an EU citizen, the Settlement Scheme allows you and your close family members to continue to live and work in the UK after the EU exit.
You can find out if you should use the scheme using an online tool. You'll need to register under the scheme by 30 June 2021. The scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019. You can sign up for email updates online.
Irish citizens’ rights
Irish citizens do not need to apply under the Settlement Scheme.
The Government have produced guidance stating that the rights enjoyed by British and Irish citizens under the Common Travel Area are protected after the UK leaves the EU.
Guidance for UK nationals living in the EU
Prepare your business for the EU exit
Our Enterprising Barnsley service offers information and support to businesses around the EU exit.
There’s also lots of information on the Government’s website to help you to understand how leaving the EU may affect your business and what you can do to get ready.
The section includes: