We’re working hard to support new housing development. This includes creating more affordable housing and building high quality, desirable and sustainable homes.
Barnsley’s population is growing and the demographic is changing. We build more homes to meet the growing and changing needs.
We want to increase the demand for new homes by helping more people to buy on the open market. We also want to free up more land for housing development.
We're driving housing growth by:
- Helping developers to build on key strategic growth sites.
- Making the most of funding opportunities to develop our infrastructure.
- Looking at why development sites have stopped making progress.
- ‘Place Shaping’ by investing in our Principal Towns and improving our local high streets.
- Investing in our M1 junctions to make getting in and out of Barnsley easier.
- Regenerating our town centre to make Barnsley a better place to live, work and visit.
Housing created by us
We're making best use of our land and contributing to our housing growth aspirations with our first mixed tenure housing development.
Blenheim View is a housing scheme that we've created at Longcar Lane, Barnsley.
It will deliver high quality new homes on a previously stalled site. It will complement our regeneration activity in and around the town centre and allow us to invest in more affordable housing development activity.
The development includes 32 new build homes, 28 of which will be offered for sale on the open market. The remaining 4 properties will be let by Berneslai Homes at an affordable rent.
Affordable housing in Barnsley
We need to create more affordable housing in Barnsley. Between 2013 and 2016 we saw 450 new affordable homes being built, but the demand still exceeds the supply. The majority of new affordable housing built in Barnsley is provided by seven Registered Providers of social housing. They work in close partnership with Barnsley Council and the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA). The HCA provides grant funding to help meet the cost of new affordable housing developments.