Town Spirit

Employment for local people

Tesco was due to open a new store in Hoyland. The South Area Team were looking forward to it opening, and to the jobs the new store would bring for local people.

A few months ahead of its opening, the area team found out from the new store manager that that the only way to apply for Tesco jobs was online. They knew lots of local people may not have a computer or the skills to fill in an online application, and didn’t want them to lose out.

They worked with the Hoyland based charity Forge Community Partnership to set up recruitment drop in sessions for local residents interested in applying for jobs. The sessions were in local venues and were widely promoted at summer galas, events and through social media.

Kate Faulkes, South Area Council manager, started the project and drove it forwards. Kate said “This is great for local people. It means more money is being spent locally, it's great for the environment as people can get to work by foot or bike, and people will keep more of their earnings as they’re not spending on travel costs to get to work. It's great for Tesco because their staff can get to work quickly, even when it snows.”

Matt Pickthall, Tesco's Store Manager, said “I liked the sound of recruitment pop up shops. I could see that Tesco tends to recruit quite low numbers of local residents, and I was more than happy to work with local people to find a solution. Together we set up these drop in recruitment sessions where locals looking for jobs could visit, speak to a recruiter, and get help to fill in an online application. Thanks to these sessions over 100 local people applied for Tesco jobs. This is such a great example of people working together to get great local results. 85% of new starters at our Hoyland superstore were from Hoyland. The other 15% were from within a three mile radius.”

Since the store opened Phil Anderson, the store’s community and service manager has now joined the Hoyland Milton and Rockingham Ward Alliance, giving his time, energy and skills back to the local community. The pop up shop recruitment sessions are being used by Tesco to help them recruit local staff in other areas.

Kate added “This is a great result, achieved through area teams being pro-active in local areas, and using our local knowledge and contacts to spot and take advantage of local opportunities.”

Tell us what you think of Town Spirit

We're still working on Town Spirit; you can help us by telling us your thoughts

Fill in our survey