Historic buildings and places

We offer specialist advice about getting consent to alter, extend or demolish historic buildings and places.

This advice covers listed buildings, work in conservation areas or to other heritage sites.

People using this service may have already consulted an architect or builder, and could be ready to submit their applications or may simply require guidance on what is possible. As part of the service we can check over your application and supporting documents. 

Our advice comes in a short written document, and covers how the planning authority may respond to any application bearing in mind the specific character of the building, area or site.

If you're considering a development and your property or site is in the Barnsley borough, you can apply for this service. If a meeting is required, it can take place at our offices in Barnsley town centre or on site. We charge a fee to cover our costs. 

We also give pre-application advice on extending or altering your property, and major and minor developments.

Before you begin

Please read the 'how to pay' tab for information about charges for this service, and make sure you have all the relevant documents which are listed in the 'what you need' tab.

We need to be sure you’re eligible for this service. Please read the statements below, and only continue with this application if you're able to confirm both of them.

  • I am enquiring about a property or site in the Barnsley borough. 
  • I am requesting this service for myself, or on behalf of someone who has given me their permission.

We'll only use personal information for the services we provide to you.  You can find more on our privacy page

You may also want to read our terms and conditions.

If you need a VAT receipt you'll need to provide an email address in your application. 

What you need

To help us identify relevant planning policies you need to supply:

  • A location plan (to the scale of 1:2500)
  • A layout plan (to the scale of 1:500)
  • Full details of the existing site or buildings
  • A full description of the proposal, with drawings

If you don’t provide this information your application may be delayed. 

You can upload copies of your plans while you’re filling out the online form, although you can't upload more than 25MB of files.

If your application is larger than 25MB please save them to a CD (note: we cannot accept .EXE or ZIP files in any format) or submit them on paper, and post them to us at the address below.

If you don't have access to a scanner to upload your supporting documents, or if your files are too large you can drop them at one of our offices or send them to: Barnsley Council, PO Box 634, Barnsley S70 9GG.

When you fill out this online form you should indicate that your documents have been submitted separately on the supporting documents screen.

When you hand in the documents you should clearly mark them with your case reference number (provided at the end of the online form) and the name of the service (Planning and Environment).

You may also want to read our terms and conditions.

How to pay

We charge £100 (including VAT) for this service.

You need to pay via this application form before we can provide advice.

What happens next

Once we’ve received your online application, payment, and supporting documents, we'll contact you within 10 working days. We may visit the site or meet you face to face as part of the process. The final advice will be given to you in a short written document.

Advice given by us for pre-application enquiries does not constitute a formal response or our decision about future planning consents. Views or opinions expressed are given in good faith, and to the best of ability, without prejudice to the formal consideration of the planning application.

The application needs to undergo consultation with the public and interested parties which will also be taken into account when the application is determined by us. We cannot give guarantees about the final decision that will be made on your planning or related applications. However, we will consider the advice note when making a decision on future planning related applications.

We will also consider changes in circumstances and information that could alter the original position. Little or no weight will be given to our pre-application advice for schemes submitted more than three years after the advice was issue.