M1 Junction 36 - Dearne Valley economic growth corridor
Phase 1 - Hoyland
This road improvement scheme on the A61 Birdwell Roundabout at M1 Junction 36 was completed in summer 2017. The work was carried out by Lumsden & Carroll Civil Engineering, part of Esh Construction, on behalf of Barnsley Council.
The project will open up and accelerate the development of:
- 23.37 hectares of existing allocated employment land
- 116 hectares of proposed new employment land at Hoyland (subject to adoption of the local plan)
- 73 hectares of new employment land at Goldthorpe (subject to adoption of the local plan)
Between them, these sites have the potential to generate up to 6500 (net) new jobs in the area.
Legal agreements between Barnsley council and landowners/commercial development partners are in place to enable commercial floorspace to be developed from 2018 onwards. This will bring in around £39m of private sector investment.
The total investment the scheme is £57.03m.
This is made up of:
- Sheffield City Region investment funding: £15.7m
- total other public sector investment: £1.393m from Highways England and £165k from Barnsley Council
- total private investment: £39.76m
SCRIF contribution as percentage of total scheme investment: 27.5%
Property Investment Fund
Our Property Investment Fund enables partnership working with developers to construct new commercial premises.
It's a flagship initiative included in our Jobs and Business Plan. The plan set out a commercially-focused blueprint for creating more jobs and more businesses in the borough.
Phase 1 of the PIF at R-evolution @ Gateway 36 business park included the construction of a total of 230,000sqft of industrial units. Companies on site include:
Combined, these have provided more than 150 job opportunities in the borough.
The second phase of the Property Investment Fund is under development by Marshall Construction at Capitol Park, Dodworth.
It'll provide two industrial units - one of 23,900sqft and one 15,000sqft.