Disabled person's travel pass

A disabled person's travel pass entitles people to free travel at all times within South Yorkshire on:

  • local bus services, trams and trains
  • Northern Rail services between South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire
  • buses throughout England at off-peak times (between 9.30am and 11pm weekdays, all day at weekends and on Bank Holidays)

You can't use your pass to travel on trams outside of South Yorkshire.

Travel passes are issued free of charge by Travel South Yorkshire.

How to qualify for a pass

You may qualify for a pass if you live in South Yorkshire and:

  • are blind or partially-sighted
  • are deaf or without speech
  • have a disability that has a substantial effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have lost the use of your arms
  • have a learning disability
  • have been refused a driver's licence or would have been refused on medical grounds (but not for drug or alcohol misuse)

Proof of your entitlement

We provide a free checking service on behalf of Travel South Yorkshire to confirm whether you're eligible for a travel pass. 

Before you fill in your application, you'll need to contact us to make an appointment at one of our offices and bring with you the following documents:

  • proof of your disability - either your benefits letter or another confirmation from the Department of Work and Pensions
  • proof of your age - your passport, a medical card or your birth certificate
  • proof of your address - a council tax bill, driving licence, utility bill or medical card

Please bring original documents as copies won't be accepted.

If you do qualify for a pass, we'll provide you with a letter to confirm your entitlement. 

Applying for a pass

When you have your letter of entitlement, you can apply online for a travel pass by setting up an account with Travel South Yorkshire. Or, if you don't have access to the internet, you can fill in a paper travel pass application and either post it or drop it off at the Transport Interchange.

You'll need to provide:

  • proof of your age
  • proof of your address
  • your letter of entitlement from us
  • a recent passport-sized photograph of yourself.

For online applications, you can scan and upload the documents.  If you're applying in writing, you'll need to enclose original documents with your application.

Renewing an expired pass

You may need us to check that you are still entitled to a travel pass.  Travel South Yorkshire will advise you if you need a letter of entitlement from us. If you are eligible, you can renew your travel pass online or fill in a paper travel pass application form. For advice about renewing a pass, call Traveline on (01709) 515151 up to a month before the expiry date.  

Lost or stolen passes

Contact Travel South Yorkshire if you have lost your pass or it has been stolen.  There is a charge for replacement passes.