Property flood resilience (PFR) recovery support scheme

Rebuilding a home or business after it's been affected by flooding is a stressful time with many decisions to make.

The government is making funding available to allow flood-hit homes and businesses to receive up to £5000 (including VAT) to make changes to properties and reduce damage levels if flooding was to reoccur; strengthening their homes and businesses for the future. If flooding should happen again the damage levels should be much lower and it will be much quicker to return back to homes and businesses.

The grant is to fund the additional cost, over the costs of a standard property repair, using materials which are more resistant and resilient to damage from flooding. It can also be used for rearranging the layout of the property; for example, changing the positions of electrical sockets. This is known as property flood resilience (PFR) and they're measures which householders and businesses can install to increase their resilience to flooding.

Examples of PFR include:

  • installing air brick covers;
  • using flood resistant coatings on walls;
  • using flood barriers to stop water coming through doorways.

Details of the scheme

To be eligible for the PFR recovery support scheme properties must have been severely damaged by a flood event between 8 November and 18 November 2019.

Up to £5000 (inclusive of VAT) is available per eligible property to fund measures used to keep water out and/or materials, products and methods to bring a building back into use after flooding.

Eligibility criteria

Properties that have been severely affected by the flooding are eligible for the scheme. This is where:

  • the inside of the property's been flooded and there's been damage to the fabric of the building which needs repair;
  • habitable living or business areas of the property have been damaged by entry of floodwater.

Funding from the scheme does not cover:

  • garages, outhouses and storage areas;
  • second homes;
  • empty homes;
  • basements or cellars that aren't used as part of the habitable or business area of a property.

Examples of measures the scheme covers

  • Professional survey of premises to identify flood risks
  • Air brick covers
  • Self-closing air bricks
  • Sewerage bungs
  • Toilet pan seals
  • Non-return valves (12mm overflow pipe, 110mm soil waste pipe, 40mm utility waste pipe)
  • Silicone gel around openings for cables
  • Water resistant repair mortar
  • Re-pointing external walls with water resistant mortar
  • Waterproofing external walls
  • Replacing sand-cement screeds on solid concrete slabs with dense screed
  • Replacing mineral insulation within walls with closed cell insulation
  • Replacing gypsum plaster with water resistant material, such as lime
  • Sump pump
  • De-mountable door guards
  • Automatic door guards
  • Permanent flood doors
  • De-mountable window guards
  • Replacing ovens with raised, built-under types
  • Replacing chipboard kitchen or bathroom units with plastic units
  • Moving electrics well above likely flood levels
  • Mounting boilers on a wall
  • Moving service meters above likely flood levels
  • Replacing chipboard flooring with treated timber floorboards
  • Replacing floors, including joists, with treated timber to make it water resilient
  • Installing chemical damp-proof course below joist level
  • Replacing timber floors with solid concrete
  • Installing garage or driveway barriers

Arranging for work to be done

If you apply for the scheme (whether you're a property owner, insurance company or other third party), you'll need to make arrangements and enter contracts with external contractors for the works to be done.

We won't undertake any work or contract directly with any external contractors ourselves, but we will need to assess whether your application meets the scheme criteria before any works are carried out.

It's important to make sure that the resilience works proposed are in addition to those that would be covered through the normal insurance process. We encourage you to work with insurers when the property's undergoing repair on robust processes.

Work completed by contractors should meet appropriate standards and be of a high quality; we can provide support to help you avoid any rogue traders.

We'll only award grant funding after the work has been completed to appropriate quality standards, and we might carry out inspections to check the quality of any flood resilience works to make sure the measures agreed and funded have been installed.

How to apply

To apply for the funding you need to complete our claim form below and send it to us by 31 October 2021.

Send your completed form to us either by emailing it to or posting it to: Flood resilience, Barnsley MBC, PO Box 14, Westgate, Barnsley, S70 2TA.