Floods can happen anywhere and at any time of year. Even if you don't live near a river, you could still be affected by flooding caused by rising ground water levels, burst water drains or hillside run-off from sudden rain storms.
It's important to be prepared for flooding:
- it's a good idea to check your insurance details- your insurer will normally be your first point of contact if your home or belongings are affected
- our resources are limited - unfortunately we can't supply everyone with sandbags, your local DIY store will stock them if you don't have a supply, find out more about how to get and use sandbags here
- keep an eye on the latest weather warnings from the Met Office if heavy rain is expected, or sign up for flood warnings online if you're in an area at risk
- visit the Environment Agency website for general advice about flooding or call them on 0845 988 1188
Areas at risk of flooding
Check which areas have been flooded before and those at risk of flooding in the future in the following documents:
- Barnsley PFRA report (PDF 494KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 1 (PDF 183KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 2 annex 1 (PDF 3300KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 2 annex 2 (PDF 5230KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 2 annex 3 (PDF 1872KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 3 annex 1 (PDF 913KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 3 annex 2 (PDF 175KB)
- Barnsley PFRA appendix 4 (PDF 211KB)
Report a flood
If your property has flooded, or is in danger of flooding call our 24 hour emergency line 01226 773555.
Our response teams will prioritise support in an emergency to those most in need.
If it isn't an emergency situation, you can use our online form to report a flood or a blocked street drain.
Before you fill in the form
Don't fill in this form if the flood involves sewage. You should call Yorkshire Water on 0345 1 24 24 24.
Filling in the form
Please provide as much detail as possible, including the location and extent of the problem. We'll only use your personal information for the service we're providing.