You’ll need to apply for permission to close a road for an event such as a:
- military gathering
- remembrance event
- street market
- street party
We'll need at least six weeks' notice for us to process your application.
Before you apply, please consider the following:
- can your event be held somewhere away from the road?
- can it be held at a time when traffic flows are lower?
- does the whole road need to be closed or just part of it?
- can traffic flow and access continue?
- have you consulted all residents and businesses who will be affected by the road closure - any valid objections we receive to your planned event might mean that we can't agree to the road closure going ahead.
You'll also need:
- public liability insurance to the value of £10million - as organiser you are responsible for the safety of the event and road closure
- permission from the police
- our permission
- a legal order to temporarily close the road
- signs and barriers to warn road users of the closure and give alternative routes - you can get these from a traffic management contractor and you'll find more information on this in our information sheet below.