Events, street parties, parades and demonstrations

 You’ll need to apply for permission to close a road for an event such as a:

  • demonstration
  • parade
  • military gathering
  • remembrance event
  • street market
  • street party

You can do this by downloading our information sheet and application form.

We'll need at least six weeks' notice for us to process your application.  

Before you apply, please consider the following:

  • can your event be held somewhere away from the road?
  • can it be held at a time when traffic flows are lower?
  • does the whole road need to be closed or just part of it?
  • can traffic flow and access continue?
  • have you consulted all residents and businesses who will be affected by the road closure - any valid objections we receive to your planned event might mean that we can't agree to the road closure going ahead.

You'll also need:

  • public liability insurance to the value of £10million - as organiser you are responsible for the safety of the event and road closure
  • permission from the police
  • our permission
  • a legal order to temporarily close the road
  • signs and barriers to warn road users of the closure and give alternative routes - you can get these from a traffic management contractor and you'll find more information on this in our information sheet below.