Sport and leisure
Join a club
If you enjoy cycling and want to take your interest further, why not join a cycle club? You'll get support from other club members and can join a range of cycle sport events throughout the year. Most clubs run events for junior members too.
Barnsley Road Club
The club was set up in 1924 to promote cycling in the Barnsley area. Members regularly take part in time trials, road races and reliability rides.
Regular events include:
- ten mile evening time trial - weekly during the summer months
- 50-100 mile club run - Sunday mornings throughout the year
- Steady Sunday ride - around 30 miles, including a cafe stop. Riding at an average of 12-15mph this ride is suitable for cyclists of moderate riding ability and reasonable road awareness
For more details and other events see the Barnsley Road Club website.
The club was set up in 1949 and has members from Barnsley, Sheffield and Rotherham. They run time trials, road races, triathlon and social events. Regular events include:
- training rides - weekends, and midweek evenings in summer
- time trials and Audax rides
- club run - every Sunday, non-members welcome
For more details see the Birdwell Wheelers website.
Flab social rides west riding
The first ride is on Sunday 10 February 2019 at 10.00am, meeting at Rabbit Ings country park car park (S71 4BB). The ride will be 17 miles and should take roughly 3 hours to finish. It is suitable for all bike types. Please bring water, basic bike repair kit and suitable clothing for conditions on the day.
For more details see the British Cycling website.
The club was formed by a small group of enthusiastic riders in spring 2018. District are a non profit organisation catering for riders in Barnsley, Wakefield and Doncaster areas. You don't have to ride a mountain bike, we want to engage all riders of off road bicycles. BMX, jump, gravel, cyclocross or hybrid, all welcome to help us grow off road cycling opportunities.
For more details see their Facebook page.