Principal councils can carry out community governance reviews and put in place or make changes to local parish governance arrangements.
As a principal council, we've started the first stage of this review process and encourage residents and interested organisations to get involved.
What is a Community Governance Review (CGR)?
A review can take place for whole or part of the borough to consider one or more of the following:
- creating or abolishing a parish area
- altering parish boundaries or names to reflect local communities
- grouping/de-grouping parishes under a common parish council
- reviewing electoral arrangements (parish council or meeting, the number of councillors, parish wards and boundaries)
- where a parish hasn't had an election for a long time, reviewing its membership so that it can stay accountable to voters
As a principal council, Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council is responsible for:
- carrying out the review of parish governance arrangements
- finalising the terms of reference
- analysing public consultation responses
- making draft recommendations during the process
- making the reorganisation order
There's been a lot of development in the borough and a lot more is planned. We must make sure that this hasn't adversely affected our parishes, and that current arrangements reflect the identities and interests of the community.
During the summer of 2017 we asked you for your views on the current arrangements, and what a potential parish could look like in your area. We considered these, and views from existing parish councils, as well as a range of demographic and other information.
We used this information to prepare draft proposals which were approved by full council on 24 May 2018. You can view the draft proposals here. A paper copy of the proposals can also be viewed at the Main Reception, Town Hall, Church Street, Barnsley S70 2TA.
Please let us have your comments on the draft proposals by using the online form on this page, or by writing to Andrew Frosdick, Executive Director Core Services, PO Box 600, Barnsley S70 9EZ. Comments must be received no later than 12pm on Monday 2 July 2018.