Physical disability services

We provide advice, information and assessments for disabled people in Barnsley.

How to get help

You can get in touch with us for an informal discussion about your needs in the first instance.

  • Tel: (01226) 282025
  • Fax: (01226) 772127
  • MiniCom: (01226) 290043
  • Email:
  • Our postal address is The Physical Disability Team, Gateway Plaza, PO Box 634, Barnsley S70 9GG(please note that this is not a public access building)

We are open Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm.

Who can get help?

The service is available to people who have a substantial and permanent physical disability and are aged between 18 and 64.

If you need some help with daily living we can arrange to visit you to assess your needs.  Assessments are generally carried out in your home and will involve you, those who care for you and relevant professionals.

We also work closely with health service teams,  for example, physiotherapy and occupational therapy.  We can involve them in your assessment, with your permission. 

Your assessment is to find out more about your circumstances and to decide if you qualify for some help from the council with arranging and  paying for your care.  If you are entitled to some help, we can arrange services with you such as personal care and social things to do in your community. We will also tell you about having a Personal Budget to enable you to arrange and pay for your own care.  You can use this to employ your own personal assistant, or make some other arrangements that meet your needs.

Unless the situation is an emergency, services will not normally be provided before an assessment has been carried out. If you are already receiving services and your needs have changed, you should ask for a review or a re-assessment to be carried out.

Anyone can request an assessment for themself, or someone they know who is having difficulties. Simply contact us or, if you prefer, you can ask your GP, nurse or another person from the NHS to get in touch with us on your behalf.


We provide support and advice for  family carers. This can include helping you to organise respite care, or a short break from caring.  If you are a carer you can ask for a carers' assessment of your needs too, to find out about any help that is available for you to support you in your caring role. 

If you don't qualify for help to arrange and pay for your care we will provide you with information and advice to support you to make your own arrangements, to access services in your community and to help with your independence. 




Connect to Support Barnsley: eMarketplace for adult social care

Connect to Support is a website where you can look for services, support and equipment to help you to live more independently. Some services are available for you to buy online. You can also find out what local groups and activities are available for you to take part in, either free of charge or at a small cost.

Visit the website

SOCITM Visit Counter