Accessibility statement

This accessibility statement applies to the Barnsley Council website

The website is run by Barnsley Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:

  • change colours, contrast levels and fonts
  • zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
  • navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
  • navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
  • listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
  • access it from a smart phone, tablet, laptop or PC

We've also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.

Read more about using our website, including its accessibility features.  

AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.

We publish information on other websites, some of which are managed by other organisations. You can see a full list of our websites here.

Our website includes PDF, Word and other documents. Our accessible documents policy explains how accessible the documents on the Barnsley Council website are. 

Contact information

If you need help to use this website, or information in a different format you can:

We'll consider your request and get back to you within five working days.

If you've asked us for help to use an online form we'll either:

  • support you to fill the form in during the call
  • put you in touch with someone who can help

You can contact us to make an appointment if you want to visit one of our offices. Please tell us about any access needs you have. 

We provide a text relay service and an online video relay service for people who are Deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment. Our offices have audio induction loops and we can arrange a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter. 

Reporting any accessibility problems with this website

We're always looking to improve our website and welcome your feedback. If you have any issues using it, or think we're not meeting accessibility requirements please let us know by emailing

Enforcement procedure

If you're not happy with how we respond to your request you can contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS). They are responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Website and Mobile Applications) (No.2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.

Technical information about this website's accessibility

Barnsley Council is committed to making this website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.

This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard due to the non-compliances listed below.

Non-accessible content


Some webpages with embedded maps are not fully accessible. A screen reader may not be able to read aloud the contents of the map.

Where an online form contains a map, for example to report something it is fully accessible because we have provided a text alternative. 

We're working to provide an accessible alternative for all maps containing essential information. We were intending to have completed this work before September 2020. Due to COVID-19 (coronavirus) we've used some of our time to develop new online services. This has had an impact on our time to fix the issues with embedded maps.

We intend to provide fully accessible maps before 31 March 2022. If you need any content from a map in a different format please contact us

Online forms for council tax, housing benefit and business rates

Our online forms for council tax, housing benefit and business rates are supplied by Victoria Forms.

These forms are partially compliant with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.

We're working with the supplier to ensure that all of the forms are fully compliant and expect to have finished this work before 31 March 2022.
If you can't access an online form for council tax, housing benefit or business rates please get in touch with us:

If you find any problems with Victoria Forms or think they're not meeting accessibility requirements, email:

Third party content

We use some third party websites for council services. We're working with the suppliers of these websites to fix any accessibility issues. Read our list of websites for details.

Content that's not within the scope of the accessibility regulations

The following content is exempt from the accessibility regulations. We'll consider any requests for accessible versions of this content at our discretion.

Disproportionate burden

Some PDF documents published on this website after 23 September 2018 are a disproportionate burden to make accessible. We've taken into consideration the purpose of these documents and how often they're accessed. These include:

  • Some local planning documents 
  • Various infographics of research, data and statistics
  • Statements of accounts
  • A small number of strategies that we know are not used very often

You can contact us to request an accessible version of any of these documents. We'll take into consideration the type of information and whether we can provide it in a different format.

Any new documents that we publish from 23 September 2020 will be accessible. 

How we tested this website

This website  is tested weekly.

Our tests include:

  • an automated testing tool provided by Siteimprove to test every published page on our website
  • Adobe Acrobat Pro to test and fix PDF documents
  • human testing for usability 

We run a full automated accessibility test on our website each week and fix any issues that are found. 

Preparation of this accessibility statement

This accessibility statement was last updated on 12 November 2021.

We'll update it again before 31 March 2022.