Your privacy

Our privacy promise

Your personal information is just that – personal. We promise to treat it with the highest standards of security and confidentiality at all times and in compliance with relevant legislation.

We need to collect your personal information in order to provide our services to you. This includes information that you provide over the telephone, on forms, by email, letter, in person and online. We’ll only collect information that is necessary or is required by law and we’ll explain the reasons for this at the time of collection. You can ask for a copy of the information we hold about you.

Personal information provided to us will be shared, where necessary by the service which has received the information, with other council services without explicit consent to do so. This will only occur where there has been a request made by yourself (e.g. you've asked for support or contact to be made by another service), and where there is a statutory or procedural responsibility to do so.   It's important that you ensure you keep us updated on any changes made to your personal information where you've ongoing contact with a service. You can read about what we do with your personal information.

You may choose not to provide us with your personal information, although some of our services may not be available as a result. We'll tell you when this is the case.

Online news editorial guidance

Our online news archive provides you with a 12-month accessible archive of all the media releases we've published.

We'll look at each case individually if we're asked to remove content, but we can't remove this from third parties if it's been shared from our website.

Contact us if you want to request that content is removed.

Media releases on court reporting

You can find more information about court reporting and what to expect on the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) website.

IPSO suggest that if convictions have been ‘spent’, you may have legal rights to have links to articles about these convictions to be removed from search engines. You can contact the search engine companies and ask them to remove it from the search results.

Data protection legislation

We collect and process information in accordance with strict data protection legislation. The law informs you of your rights about your personal information and our responsibilities in keeping it safe and processing it correctly.

Barnsley Council is registered with the Information Commissioners Office as a Data Controller. Our registration number is Z5121328.

Find out more about Data Protection on the Information Commissioner's Office website.

How to access and control your information, including making a complaint

Where we hold your personal information we'll:

  • provide records of what we hold when you request this from us
  • correct it if it's inaccurate, especially if you ask us to
  • stop processing personal information where we can, and if you ask us to
  • stop sending you mailing information when you ask us to (opt out)
  • delete your information when it's no longer required or if you ask us to

To do this you can complete our online form below

If you need to contact us to discuss how we use your information or to make a complaint, please contact our Information Governance Team by emailing or by telephoning (01226) 773555 and asking to speak to the team.

If you're not satisfied with our response, you may contact our Data Protection Officer by emailing

Alternatively, if you're not satisfied with the way we've handled your information, the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) is the UK’s independent authority upholding information rights in the public interest and their contact details are on the Information Commissioner's Office website.

British Sign Language (BSL) video: What is GDPR?

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) replaced the Data Protection Act 1998 on 25 May 2018. This has subsequently been replaced by the UK GDPR.

You can watch a BSL video to learn how GDPR may affect you.


If you need help understanding this information, or would like a paper copy of this notice, please contact us.