Using our online services to report something, to pay for a service, or find information quickly will save you time and may be more convenient for you.
We're continuing to develop our website so that we can offer you more services online. We have a range of online forms that you can use to apply for a service, make a report or pay for something. Filling in a form is the quickest way for your enquiry to get to the right department.
What do you need to contact us about?
Choose a service from the list below or select 'general enquiries' for everything else.
Council tax, benefits, business rates and council invoices
Includes council tax, council tax support, housing benefit, free school meals and business rates.
You can also:
- view your council tax and benefit details online
- use our online forms to apply for a service or tell us about something (such as applying for single person's discount, or telling us you've changed address)
- live chat with us on our advice, benefits and council tax web pages (Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm, Friday 9am to 4.30pm)
- call (01226) 787787 (lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm)
Child/adult abuse (safeguarding)
To report concerns about abuse, call the following numbers:
- to report child abuse call children's social care on (01226) 772423
- to report adult abuse call adult social care on (01226) 773300
Out of office hours, or if your call is urgent, call our emergency duty team on (01226) 787789 (for both child and adult abuse).
If you're deaf or hearing impaired you can use our SAFE text service.
Find more information on our safeguarding web pages.
Adult social care and caring services
Includes social care assessments and carer services.
- contact us online on our adult health and social care web pages
- call (01226) 773300
Children and family services
Includes school places, early years, family information service, special educational needs, children's social care, fostering and adoption, parent partnership, youth services, children in care.
- contact us online on our children, families and education web pages
- call (01226) 770770
Council housing (Berneslai Homes)
Visit the Berneslai Homes website for council housing enquiries, including:
- reporting a repair
- contacting the rents team
- finding a council house
- other council housing enquiries
Including waste, licensing, libraries, registrar services and roads.
You can also:
- use our Barnsley Council social media pages:
- call (01226) 773555
Complaints and compliments
We want to know about your experience of our services; when you think we’ve done a good job and when you think that we can do better.
Your complaints and compliments can help us to improve the services that we provide to all of our customers.
Find out how to make a complaint or compliment.
Press and media enquiries
Website and online forms
You can tell us your views about our website and online forms by using the rating icons at the bottom of each of our web pages.
If you need any information on our website in an alternative format:
- email email@example.com
- call (01226) 773555
British Sign Language
If you use British Sign Language you can request a video call back with a BSL interpreter.
For news, events and customer services, follow our social media pages:
- Barnsley Council Facebook
- Barnsley Council Twitter
- Barnsley Council Instagram
- Barnsley Council YouTube
A lot of our services also have their own social media pages; see a full list of our social media pages.
Make an appointment
To see someone in person, please make an appointment to come into one of our offices.
Barnsley Council, PO Box 634, Barnsley S70 9GG.
If you know the name of the service or you're writing to a particular person, please include these details before the address.