SignVideo provides a British Sign Language (BSL) video interpreting service to help deaf BSL users in the UK communicate with hearing people. The service is free to use.
Before using SignVideo BSL Live, you'll need these basic requirements as a minimum:
- PC or Mac with a webcam
- Browsers: Chrome (PC and Mac), Firefox (PC and Mac), Safari 11 (mac), iOS 11 Safari and Android 4.0 upwards
- The bandwidth requirements for the SignVideo unit are: minimum 512kbps, recommended 1mbps upload for HD video, maximum 1.5mbps
This service is free from your own home and is available during office hours.
For troubleshooting and technical guidance, please email SignVideo or call 020 3388 0771. The IT support team are BSL users and will be able to contact you back however you prefer.
You can also go to the SignVideo website and click on the link to video call SignVideo if you need help.
Using the service
You can use the video relay service with lots of devices including iPhone, iPad, Android phones, Android tablets, PCs or laptops with Windows and Macs.
To use the service, follow the steps below:
- Select the button below for the SignVideo call service you want to contact.
- Once connected to a SignVideo interpreter, advise them you are calling Barnsley Council or Berneslai Homes.
- Let the interpreter know which person or department you want to connect to.
- You will then be connected and can start the conversation in BSL.