SignVideo provides a British Sign Language (BSL) video interpreting service to help deaf BSL users in the UK communicate with hearing people. The service is free to use.
To start using the service you'll need:
- iOS device (8 or upwards), Android device (4.4 upwards), PC (i3 or above) or Mac with a webcam
- IE9-11 or Firefox for Windows, Safari for Mac
- Bandwidth of at least 256 kbps upload and download (384kbp/s recommended)
The first time you use the service you will need to download a 'Live Plug-In'. This enables a good quality video link and ensures that your call is confidential. To download the Plug-In just follow the instructions on-screen once you are connected.
Using the service
To use the service, follow the steps below:
- Click on the button below for the SignVideo call service you want to contact
- Connect to a SignVideo interpreter and tell them you are calling Barnsley Council or Berneslai Homes
- Tell the SignVideo interpreter which person or department you want to connect to
- You will then be connected and can start the conversation in BSL