This course will be the first stage in your maths learning journey. This non-accredited course will develop your skills and confidence in the core number skills. These are vital for everyday life, employment and supporting children with school work. They're also needed for further maths study and non-calculator exam papers. These building blocks are skills such as:
- place value
- written and mental maths methods to add, subtract, multiply and divide
- working with decimal numbers
- substitution and using formulae
Formal learning is blended with practical tasks to reinforce learning and introduce problem solving.
Number Sense courses are available at these levels:
- Entry 1/Entry 2
- Entry 3/ Level 1
- Level 1/Level 2
This course will improve your confidence in:
- mental and written calculations
- supporting children with homework
- completing assessments for employment
- estimating prices when shopping
When you've finished this course you can move into a functional skills maths course where you can gain an accreditation for your learning.
You'll also build skills for work
Local employers in Barnsley have made a list of skills they like their employees to have. As part of this course you'll show the following skills:
- Problem solving skills. You'll be working on real life maths problem solving.
- Team working skills. You'll work with other learners in your group.
- Communication skills. This will be in class, in feedback, through verbal and electronic interaction with your tutor.
- Digital skills. You'll have the chance to use PCs, laptops and tablets.
- Being resilient. Maths isn't an easy subject. You'll build resilience by keep trying even when it can be difficult.
- Organisation skills. You'll keep a folder of your work.
- Being reliable. Attending each session is vital to be successful.
- One x 2.5 hour classroom based session. Other learners in the class will also be working at the same level.
- At least one hour of homework tasks. You'll need to complete this each week.
- Weekly one to one tutor support will be available by Teams, email and phone.
- Online BKSB resources and assessments for further study and regular progress checks.
You need to have already completed the following with us:
- Information, advice and guidance session and an initial assessment on the BKSB software.
The level that you study at will be decided by your initial assessment results.
Free if you don't hold a Grade C/Grade 4 or above in maths.
How to apply
- Contact us online
- Call us on (01226) 775270
- Email us at email@example.com
- Like us on Facebook and send us a message
On completion of this course you'll have the chance to progress onto another maths course. These include
- a functional skills maths qualification. Course length is tailored to individual needs but most learners take up to one academic year. There are various examination sessions available during the year which can be booked when you're ready.
- a GCSE maths qualification. This is a fast paced course for learners who already have some maths skills at level 2. Courses start in September and the three examinations are taken on fixed dates in May and June. The course tutor will complete a final review with all learners in the last session to discuss their skills and options to progress. There'll also be the chance to arrange impartial advice and guidance support.
What our learners say
I've always struggled with maths but thanks to my tutor I'm finally getting there!
Prior to coming to Maths class I can honestly say I was pretty terrified, I now enjoy coming and find learning very rewarding.