This course will enable you to gain a basic knowledge of childcare in early years environments. This includes the value of play, roles and responsibilities of carers and volunteers, and the importance of developing links in the local community. It covers working with children from birth up to 5 years.
The course will give an understanding of regulations and best practice in the management of early years settings and the value of play in the development of babies and young children. It will incorporate the roles and responsibilities of carers and volunteers in early years settings and the importance of developing links in the local community that could enhance children’s learning and development.
This course is a great introduction to working with young children and is ideal if you want to know more about working in early years settings and caring for children. Upon successful completion of this course you will gain the Level 1 award in an introduction to early years settings and having the underpinning knowledge and skills to progress to a higher level course to support moving into employment in the early years sector.
This course will enable you to
- Understand the importance of play to a child’s development.
- Explore different play types suitable for babies and young children from birth to 5 years 11 months.
- Know the role of the adult in providing play.
- Know what is involved in the management of an early years setting.
- Know about how regulations and legislation affect early years settings.
- Understand how early years settings help children to feel secure.
- Know what is involved in the management structure of an early years setting.
- Explore the role of the team in an Early Years setting.
Know how to improve own practice in the early years setting.
You'll also develop the following skills for work
- Working as part of a team, sharing ideas, working together, problem solving in tasks.
- Effective and technical communication and language skills
- Build onto confidences needed to work at this level
- Planning and self-management
- Promote resilience and motivation to achieve your goals and aspiration.
- Literacy, numeracy and digital skills will be supported throughout the course.
Classroom based delivery with blended learning opportunities
- 10 classroom sessions x three hours per session delivered face to face.
- During the sessions, you will have access to laptop devices to complete research tasks. Support will be provided by the tutor in sessions.
- Independent and group activities throughout the course.
- Some independent working will be required to be undertaken between sessions.
- Continued tutor support available on Teams for Education.
Expectations and support
- You'll create a portfolio of evidence over the duration of your course to evidence the knowledge and skills you gain
- In class support will be achieved through activities, discussions, and tutor feedback
- You'll also receive class materials via Teams for Education and a textbook to support your learning
- Assignment briefs will be used to give further guidance
- General group discussions will take place
Learners will have already completed the following with Adult Skills and Community Learning:
- Information advice and guidance and initial assessment on the BKSB software
- Demonstrate knowledge of English and maths and be willing to work towards level 1 (if not already achieved).
- Basic ICT skills and some confidence in using word, email, search engines etc. (Desirable)
The level that you study at will be determined by your initial assessment results
The cost of the course is £139.00 which can be paid monthly via direct debit over the duration of your course, however you may be entitled to fee remission/fee reduction depending on your individual circumstances, contact us for more information.
How to apply
- Contact us online
- Call us on (01226) 775270
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Like us on Facebook and send us a message
- Level 2 early years course
- Level 2 supporting teaching and learning course
What our learners say
My teacher was very fun to learn with, every week was very interesting I'd have gained lots of new skills