Backdated Housing Benefit
Benefit is normally paid from the Monday after we receive your claim, but claims can sometimes be backdated to start from an earlier date.
What you need to know about backdating a claim.
There are different rules for backdating claims depending on your age.
If you or your partner are of pensionable age.
Your claim will automatically be backdated for a maximum of three months depending on your circumstances. There is no need for you to make a request.
If you or your partner are of working age.
If there has been a good reason why you could not get your form to us sooner, then you can ask for your claim to be backdated for a maximum of six months from when we receive your request.
How do I apply?
You must ask for a backdate in writing.
Your request needs to include the following:
- Your name, address and claim reference number
- The dates you want us to backdate your claim from and to
- The reasons why you could not apply sooner
- Details of your income, capital and rent for the period you are asking us to backdate
- If you have any proof to confirm your reasons for making a late claim then send them to us - for example proof of hospital admission and discharge dates
Thinking that you may not be entitled to benefit or not knowing that you could claim are not normally good reasons for us to be able to backdate your claim. Examples of good reasons are:
- Being too ill
- Problems with postal services
- Not being given the correct information by an official body or service such as an advice centre
- Having to rely on others to deal with your affairs due to a disability, your age or because of your health
You must show that you had a good reason for the whole of the period for which a backdate is claimed and up to the date your backdate request is received.
For impartial advice on writing your backdate request letter you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau or the Welfare Rights Service.
Send your backdate request to us as soon as possible.
If we need more information then we will write to you to let you know what we want and the date you need to provide it by.
We will write to you when we have made a decision. If your request is successful any backdated benefit will be paid the same way as your Housing Benefit is paid.