Backdated council tax support and housing benefit

If you claim housing benefit or council tax support, your payments usually start from the Monday after we receive your claim. In some circumstances, we can backdate your claim to start earlier.

There are different rules for backdating claims depending on your age.

If you or your partner are of pensionable age

Your claim will automatically be backdated for a maximum of three months depending on your circumstances.  There's no need for you to make a request.

If you or your partner are of working age

You can apply for backdated benefit for a maximum period of one month depending on your circumstances.

Good reasons for backdating your claim

To ask for your benefit backdating, you'll need to give good reason why your claim's late. ‘Thinking that you may not be entitled to benefit’ or ‘not knowing that you could claim’ aren’t good reasons for backdating your claim.

Acceptable reasons why your claim's late include:

  • being too ill
  • bereavement
  • problems with postal services
  • not being given the right information by an official body or service, such as an advice centre
  • having to rely on others to deal with your affairs because you’re pensionable age, disabled or in poor health

How to claim backdated council tax support or housing benefit

You can apply for backdated council tax support or housing benefit using our online form below. Please answer all the questions on the form.

Sending your evidence

If we need more information from you, we’ll tell you what we need and when you need to provide it. You can upload any evidence to support your claim using our online form below.

What happens next

Once we’ve considered your evidence, we’ll let you know if your claim was successful.

If you claimed backdated council tax support, any backdated support will be shown on your council tax bill.

If you claimed backdated housing benefit, any backdated benefit will be paid the same way as your housing benefit's paid.

Impartial advice

Contact the Citizens Advice Bureau or the Welfare Rights Service if you need impartial advice on backdated council tax support and housing benefit.