Waste carriers' licences

If you run a waste carrier business, you must have a licence from the Environment Agency.

Anyone who handles waste must take all reasonable steps to make sure it's managed properly. Handling includes producing, importing, keeping, storing, transporting, treating or disposing of it. 

If you breach this duty of care, you could receive a penalty fine of up to £5000 if convicted in the Magistrates' Court. The fine is unlimited if you're convicted in the Crown Court.

Duty of care regulations apply to commercial premises/businesses, householders, and those who transport waste. Find out more about householder's duty of care for their waste.

What a waste carrier licence looks like

  • The licence is the size of a credit card. A paper licence is also issued.
  • The licence number will start with the letters 'CBU'.

You can check a waste carrier licence number online on the Environment Agency website. It's your responsibility as the waste holder to check that the waste carrier is licensed.

Report someone who may not have a licence to carry waste

You should always check that anyone removing waste from your premises is licensed to do so.

You can report an unlicensed waste carrier to us using our online form.