Barnsley Virtual School
The role of the Virtual School
As corporate parents, we've got high aspirations for the children in our care, and for our care leavers.
Like any good parent, we want the best for them, to see them flourish with good health, and to be safe and happy. We want them to do well at school, as well as develop socially, and become confident, independent adults.
We know, from national data, that children in care can have significant gaps in their learning, and that they don't generally perform as good as their peers. This may be because of experiences or trauma in their early childhood, before coming into care.
The educational success of our children in care is a top priority for the Virtual School. We monitor their attendance, attainment and achievement, and remove any barriers to their learning.
If you're in care, we'll do our best to make sure that you:
- thrive in a high quality school that best matches your needs
- achieve your potential
- have good school attendance
- secure a pathway into post-16 education
- develop a positive attitude to lifelong learning
If you're in care, or leaving care, we're responsible for:
- raising your attainment
- raising your aspirations
- making sure there's people there to support you
- making people aware of the impact that early trauma and attachment difficulties can have on your learning.