- to make sure you're registered with a GP and dentist and you're able to attend all your immunisation and medical appointments. This should include an annual health and dental assessment.
- to provide a specialist health adviser who can advise and support you, your carers, and other health professionals so that you get the best possible healthcare.
- to make sure you're able to take part in a range of sporting, leisure, play and other physical activities that will improve your physical health.
- to make sure that if you move home, health services in your new area have information about anything you may need.
- to support you to manage your own health needs as you get older. We'll give you information, advice and support about relationships and sexual health.
- to make sure you have specialist support if you feel so angry, upset, scared, confused or lonely that it's stopping you feeling safe or happy.
Staying healthy in care
When you come into care you'll have a health assessment with a doctor, then your social worker will write a health plan for you. This will include your medical information such as any illnesses or disabilities you have, any medications, as well as any dental treatments or eye tests you need. It will also record anything that's upsetting you.
We'll review your health plan regularly as part of your overall care plan and discuss any changes with you at your review meeting. For children under five a nurse will visit you to update it every six months; for those over five years old it's every twelve months.
Find out what to expect at a health assessment in the video below.
Barnsley Leisure Card
The Barnsley Leisure Card allows children in care and care leavers living in the borough to get money off a range of sport and leisure activities.
Discounts are available on activities in Barnsley, Rotherham, Sheffield, Doncaster and Wakefield.
Care leavers' personal health record
When you leave care you'll receive a personal health record containing key information about your health from childhood. For example, if and when you've had immunisations and your current health needs. It also contains helpful health information that you may need as you move to independence.