Children in care and care leavers

Information required for the notification of a new, changed or ceased care placement in Barnsley

The care planning, placement and case review statutory guidance and the associated regulations updated in 2013, outline the duties of local authorities to notify other local authorities if they place a child in care within their area. It also requires children’s homes to notify their local authority when a child is placed with them by another authority.

Where a child who's not in care is placed in a health or education placement for three months or more (or with that intention) the placing authority or organisation has a duty to notify the host local authority prior to the placement, or as soon as practicable thereafter. The host local authority, supported by relevant agencies in both the host and home authority, must make sure that education and health partners are provided with information about placements of children in care, both into or out of their area.

Read our guidance for more information regarding the services available for children in care in Barnsley.

Information required by us when making a notification of placement

  • Child’s full name
  • Date of birth
  • Gender
  • Placing authority
  • Social worker name and contact details (phone number and email)
  • Emergency details for home authority
  • Independent reviewing officer details
  • Legal status
  • Whether the notification is for a new placement, a change, or an end of placement
  • Date the placement started, or date due to change or end
  • Carer or institution type (foster carer, children’s home or other)
  • What the carer has been contracted to provide (if specialist, for example)
  • Carer contact details, including address
  • Particular needs or risks to the child such as special educational needs, disability, youth offending, mental health needs. A copy of the care plan should be shared to highlight the needs.
  • GP details - old and new, if known
  • A digital photograph of the child that can be shared with the police force

Police force notification

The College of Policing encourages local authorities to notify the relevant police force when a child is being placed out of area, based on the needs and risk of the child. It's hoped that this additional notification channel will assist in the safeguarding of some of the most vulnerable children in the care system.

When placing a child in Barnsley, particularly if there are concerns with regard to child sexual exploitation or the child going missing for example, please inform the South Yorkshire Police Missing Officer by emailing

Please leave us some feedback