Children in care

You can leave care when you reach 18. 

Leaving care and becoming independent is a big step, so before you leave, we'll make sure that you're well prepared.

When you leave care, you'll be paired up with a trained personal adviser (PA), who will be involved in assessing your needs and preparing a pathway plan for you.  This plan sets out what you want to do with your life, what your aspirations are for the future and how you'll achieve them.

We'll continue to give you advice, support and financial help until you're 21, or 24 if you remain in full-time education

Your PA will help review your pathway plan every six months to keep you on track and they'll be on hand to give you advice, guidance and support. They'll keep in touch with you until you're 21.

You can take a look at our local offer for care experience young people to find out what help and support is available.

Future Directions

When you're ready for leaving care, your social worker will refer you to Future Directions.

They’ll support you through the transition to adulthood by providing the support and services that you need. 

Future Directions is based at Temperence House, Pitt Street. Barnsley S70 1AL


Get help if you've run away from care

If you’ve run away from care, lots of people will be worrying about you.

Please call our emergency Duty Team on (01226) 787789 so that we can talk about why you felt the need to run away. We might be able to sort things out for you.

What you can expect from Future Directions

  • 1-1 support from a project worker 

  • support with education, training and employment

  • daily drop-in service

  • group work, including life skills, tenancy support, financial literacy, food hubs

  • support with accommodation, including supported lodging scheme

  • a range of social and leisure activities

  • personal and community support