Getting help if your child has SEN

If you feel that your child may have special educational needs and may need extra support, talk to your child’s class teacher or their principal.

They will arrange for your child to be assessed to find out what their needs are. This will help them to arrange appropriate support for your child, known as SEN support.

Often your child’s school or setting will be able to meet their special needs and will offer them a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum throughout their education. They’ll offer your child special educational provision, which can involve additional support or learning in different ways to other children of their age in the school or setting.

The setting will ask you for your views when they’re planning, monitoring and reviewing your child’s educational needs.

If you can’t come to an agreement about your child’s needs, you can contact the council's SEN disagreement resolution service.

How you can help your child

Your involvement in your child’s education is really important.   

Talk to your child’s teacher regularly. Tell them about any concerns you have about their learning or the teaching and support your child’s receiving. 

If it’s agreed that your child has special educational needs you can be involved in discussions about their needs and in planning and reviewing their SEN support plan.

You can find more information in the Department for Education (DfE) guidance on special educational needs and disability.

‘First Steps’ autism parent and carer workshops

We run workshops for parents and carers whose child has recently received an autism diagnosis. These events give parents and carers the opportunity to find out more about autism and the support that's available, as well as chat and share experiences with others.

To request to book a place at any of the below sessions please email

More sessions will be available soon - please check back later.