How to get the help you need

If your child is between the ages of 5 and 16 and you'd have difficulty taking or picking them up from school, they may be eligible for free home-to-school transport. This is provided by Barnsley Council.

Read more about school travel for children with special educational, disability or mobility needs (SEND), including how to apply.

When applying, think about the challenges you might have getting your child to and from school. This is more than just the physical challenges you might have. For example, for some children, their condition might mean they have a poor sense of danger around them. They might also find public transport stressful.

More information can be found on the home to school travel page on GOV.UK.


If I live close to the school, can I still apply for home to school transport?

Yes - for children with SEND the normal distance rules don't apply. Applications must be considered on a case-by-case basis. In your application, please state the difficulties you face in getting your child to and from school. 

What is 'travel training'?

For some older children, and those with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), it might be beneficial to support them in how to use public transport. This might include directly supporting them in catching a bus, or using the bus station.

This option should be discussed with you through the EHCP review process. It doesn't replace the right for home-to-school transport but can be offered in as well.

Can I apply on behalf of a 16 year old?

Yes. The legal right for home-to-school transport is up to 16 years old, but you can still apply. If you have concerns about a young person being able to access post-16 education, talk with your school's SENCO or apply for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

What happens if my application is refused?

If your application is refused, you have the right to appeal the decision.

Please contact the home-to-school transport service or SENDIASS if you have any questions.