Apply to become a chaperone

Who can apply

Anyone who's 18 or over and lives in Barnsley can become a chaperone.

How to apply

If you’re a volunteer chaperone, we advise that you subscribe to the DBS update service if available to keep your DBS valid. 

  • fill in a chaperone application form and answer our questions for chaperones (print them off, fill them in, sign them and send them to us with two passport sized photographs)

  • provide two personal referees (one who is able to evidence your successful working with children in either a professional or  a voluntary capacity, and one who has known you in a personal capacity for over two years – excluding family members)

  • Attend a brief, informal interview, where we will also ask your permission to complete a disclosure application and ask to see evidence documents* (please see list of valid identity documents).  You will also need to provide an email address.  You can use the checklist to make sure you have everything you need to apply. 

*Essential documents required are Passport, Driving licence and proof of your National Insurance Number. 

We can only process applications on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons and all day Friday. 

Any applications received after 3.30pm will be acknowledged the next working day.

How much it costs for a chaperone licence

There will be a charge as of June 2017 for a volunteer chaperone licence of £9.95.  

The licence to become a professional chaperone costs £48.40.

Once you're approved as a chaperone

If you’re approved as a chaperone, your licence will last up to three years; you must apply for renewal at the end of this time.  Any approval is granted subject to certain conditions; any breach of these conditions could lead to the approval being withdrawn.

Please keep your certificate of approval in a safe place. You need to take it with you every time you chaperone a child as you may be asked to produce it for inspection.

Once you’ve been approved, you need to notify us within seven days of:

  • any arrest for any offence triable in a court of law, or any conviction in such a court, whether in the United Kingdom or not
  • any serious or notifiable illness or debility              
  • any change of address or name

Looking after children on tour

Where children are on tour and living away from home, as a chaperon you'll be responsible for them throughout the duration of the licence. You must take constant charge of the child and accompany them at all times.

In general, a chaperone needs to exercise a greater amount of supervision than if the children were living at home.

Your responsibilities for a child on tour include making sure that:

  • lodgings are satisfactory, comfortable and clean. They have to be approved by the council in whose area they are but if, for any reason, the chaperone thinks them unsatisfactory, they should insist on a change of accommodation.
  • transport is arranged to and from the place of entertainment.  No child should normally have more than three hours journey   
  • children are properly occupied in their spare time and get plenty of exercise 
  • meal arrangements are suitable.  Food should normally be provided at the lodgings
  • they sleep in the same accommodation as the child and close to where the children are sleeping


We can ask producers to give us access to the records of child performers.

Chaperones are often designated to keep these records in respect of the child.  These will include the times that the child is at the place of the performance, when they perform and rehearse, when they have their breaks and meals, and the waiting times in between performances.

If you're not sure about the legalities of what producers may be asking of the child, ask us for advice.

You need to tell us straight away if there is any contravention of the licence, or any incident that affects the child's wellbeing.

Contact us

Call: (01226) 773580
Write to: Education Welfare Service, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG

Opening hours: Monday to Thursday from 8.30am to 5pm and Fridays from 8.30am to 4.30pm

You can also contact the Education Welfare Officer through your child’s school