Our specialist qualified team of professionals have a breadth of knowledge and experience in meeting the needs of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
We can offer your school or setting tailored support to improve the progress and outcomes for pupils who have a range of SEND needs.
What we do
We're committed to 'closing the gap', in terms of attainment and achievement, between children who have special needs and disabilities and their peers
We'll offer you support to deliver your school improvement plan for children and young people with SEND, through our 'assess', 'plan', 'do' and 'review' cycle, focusing on improving the delivery of wave 1, 2 and 3 provisions.
Our core offer includes the provision of appropriate support tailored to the needs of an identified child or young, including:
- initial assessment by a practitioner based on requested involvement
- planning meetings
- involvement from our hearing and visually impaired service (determined by the National Sensory Impairment Assessment)
- initial multi agency meeting
Our traded offer builds on the support for an individual child or young person and develops the skills of staff so that they can support other pupils who may benefit from similar strategies. The offer includes:
- ongoing involvement for individual children
- SENCO support
- identified work commissioned by the Alliance Board
- identified training commissioned by the Teaching Schools Alliance
We can offer you specialist support in the following areas:
Support in the home for children from birth to five years who have special educational needs and disability.
Provision in a range of settings of hands-on strategies to meet the holistic needs of children with a visual impairment.
Support for children who have difficult attuning to, or with a tendency to withdraw from, social situations.
We accept referrals from health professionals, nurseries, childminders, schools and post 16 colleges for CYP with identified SEND.
Why choose us?
- Use of specialist assessments
- Specialist understanding of teaching and learning for pupils with SEND
- Offer in-school CPD for staff
- Attendance at multi-agency meetings
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of learners’ profiles
- Joint working with health services and other agencies
- Use of assistive technology
- Development of learners' confidence, self-image, communication and self-help skills
What people say about us
The BESST staff who visit our school are always helpful, professional, and offer good advice on how we can help the children who need additional support.
Such a valid support team that has helped so much with development and support, for me as a parent, and for my son.
Really helpful, supportive and trustworthy ... I never feel that I'm a bother and I look forward to their visits.
The teams have offered us valuable expertise, experienced resources, hands-on involvement and ongoing support.
With help from BESST, I'm learning independent skills to help me do things for myself instead of somebody else doing them for me.