Who we are
We are professionally trained psychologists, specialist teachers and practitioners with experience of working with children, young people and families in a wide range of contexts.
What we do
Barnsley Education Inclusion Services provide specialist advice, training and support to enable the special educational needs of children and young people to be understood and met.
We work within the graduated approach as outlined in the SEND Code of Practice, to support educational settings to identify and meet the needs of children and young people with SEN.
How are we doing
We've had feedback from education settings and parents/carers about how they think we've done in the last academic year.
- 95% agreed or strongly agreed that practitioner involvement supported an increased understanding of children and young people's strengths and needs.
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed that practitioner involvement was effective in identifying support and strategies to build into the setting’s graduated approach.
- 95% agreed or strongly agreed that practitioner involvement increased skills and enhanced confidence to implement provision to meet the needs of the children and young people.
- 92% agreed or strongly agreed that practitioner involvement had enabled a good understanding of outcomes for their child and how the outcomes would be supported.
- 88% agreed or strongly agreed that they felt listened to and that their views and experiences were considered.
- 100% of parents/carers who accessed Portage felt that involvement had impacted positively on their child’s developmental progress.
What people say about us
The advice provided for staff, parents and children is excellent and the child is always at the centre of the outcomes that are created as are their wishes. Meetings are co productive and the practitioner is well skilled in gaining all views and prioritising the needs of the child within the outcomes
So professional and supportive. The practitioner works really well with our whole team
We were very impressed with the report, very detailed identification of need and strategies for school to take. This definitely showed that my child’s needs had been understood that everything we had discussed had been taken on board which demonstrated effective communication and working in partnership
Involvement was highly successful and informative as well as being highly collaborative.
With help from the Inclusion Service I'm learning independent skills to help me do things for myself, instead of somebody else doing them for me.
Involvement has 100% helped my son in his developmental progress in a very positive way right from the very first meeting we had with our worker. The work she did with us has been fantastic and his progress has really improved a lot and is continuing to do so
An excellent partnership was created to ensure the best outcomes for all of the pupils involved.