We deliver high-quality music provision for children and young people in Barnsley. We're also proud leaders of Barnsley Music Hub.
The Music Service is based at The Civic, Hanson Street (Off Regent Street), Barnsley S70 2HZ and is open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm. Ensemble and after school activities take place every weekday evening from 4pm until late.
What we offer
We offer the following opportunities, both in Barnsley schools and at the music centre.
- First access – allows all children to begin learning a musical instrument as part of a whole class in their primary school.
- Small group tuition – further develops children’s ability to play a musical instrument.
- Examinations – offer opportunities for pupils to achieve nationally accredited musical examinations.
- Individual lessons – give a limited number of young people the opportunity to have individual lessons and support higher graded examinations.
- Ensembles – in partnership with Barnsley Ensembles Hub we offer a range of bands, groups and orchestras for all instrument families.
- Instrument loan scheme – available for pupils receiving tuition and subject to availability.
- Performance/workshop opportunities – regular concerts, master classes and workshops in a range of venues locally and nationally.
Find out more by browsing the sections below.
- violin, viola, cello and bass
- guitar (acoustic, electric and bass)
- flute, clarinet, oboe, saxophone, bassoon, recorder
- cornet, trumpet, flugel horn, tenor horn, french horn, baritone, euphonium, trombone and tuba
- piano and keyboard
- tuned and un-tuned percussion
If your child qualifies for scheme of aid and receives free school meals, they're entitled to a group instrumental music lesson at a third of the normal price, and free hire of an instrument.
When your child reaches the required standard, the music service tutor will give them a letter to bring home which will recommend the grade that they should be entered for.
The letter will contain all the information that you need to complete our online graded music exam entry form.
Please note: The form will be only be available for you to complete during the booking period mentioned on your letter. It does include guidance to help you to complete it, but please call us if you are having any problems.
Orchestras, bands, choirs and ensembles
In partnership with Barnsley Ensembles Hub, the following activities are offered:
|Wentworth Strings||Friday||5.30pm to 6.30pm|
|Stainborough Strings||Friday||4.20pm to 5.20pm|
|Oakwell Strings||Friday||4.45pm to 5.45pm|
|Barnsley Guitar Ensemble||Wednesday||6.15pm to 7.15pm|
|Barnsley Junior Guitar Ensemble||Thursday||5.15pm to 6pm|
|Barnsley Metropolitan Band||Wednesday||6.45pm to 9pm|
|Barnsley Town Concert Band||Monday||6.15pm to 8.15pm|
|Barnsley Junior Band||Wednesday||4.45pm to 5.45pm|
|Barnsley Intermediate Band||Tuesday||4.45pm to 6pm|
|Penistone Junior Band||Tuesday||3.45pm to 4.45pm|
|Barnsley Percussion Ensemble||Thursday||4.30pm to 5.45pm|
|Civic Fusion||Monday||5pm to 6pm|
All of these take place at Barnsley Music Service, The Civic, Hanson Street, Barnsley, S70 2HZ, except Penistone Junior Band which takes place at Penistone St John's Primary School.
What our students say
Skye, a Barnsley Music Education Hub student says: "Playing a musical instrument has given me a huge boost in confidence and important skills for learning and studying. It's simply the best fun and so rewarding."