We deliver high-quality music provision for children and young people in Barnsley. We're also proud leaders of the Barnsley Music Education Hub.
The Music Service is based at The Civic, Hanson Street (Off Regent Street), Barnsley S70 2HZ and is open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm. Group activities take place every weekday evening from 4pm until late.
What we offer
We offer the following opportunities, both in Barnsley schools and at the music centre.
- First access – allows all children to begin learning a musical instrument as part of a whole class in their primary school.
- Musical bridges – allow children to carry on after their first access year
- Small group tuition – further develops children’s ability to play a musical instrument.
- Examinations – offer opportunities for pupils to achieve nationally accredited musical examinations.
- Individual lessons – give a limited number of young people the opportunity to have individual lessons and support higher graded examinations.
- Ensembles – in partnership with Barnsley Ensembles Hub we offer a range of bands, groups and orchestras for all instrument families.
- Instrument loan scheme – available for pupils receiving tuition and subject to availability.
- Performance/workshop opportunities – regular concerts, master classes and workshops in a range of venues locally and nationally.
Take a look at our pupil handbook for more information.
- violin, viola, cello and bass
- guitar (acoustic, electric and bass)
- flute, clarinet, oboe, saxophone, bassoon, recorder
- cornet, trumpet, flugel horn, tenor horn, french horn, baritone, euphonium, trombone and tuba
- piano and keyboard
- tuned and un-tuned percussion
If your child receives free school meals, they're entitled to a group instrumental music lesson at a third of the normal price, and free hire of an instrument.
If your child wants to sit a music examination, these take place three times a year at at the music centre.
When your child reaches the required standard, the music service teacher will write to you asking for permission to enter them for an examination. If you agree, we'll ask them to fill in an examination form and send it back to us. When we know the dates and times of the examinations, your child's teacher at the music centre will let them know.
Orchestras, bands, choirs and ensembles
In partnership with Barnsley Ensembles Hub, we also run the below:
|Wentworth Strings||Friday||5pm to 6pm|
|Stainborough Strings||Friday||4.30pm to 5.30pm|
|Barnsley Guitar Ensemble||Wednesday||6.15pm to 7.15pm|
|Barnsley Junior Guitar Ensemble||Thursday||5.15pm to 6pm|
|Barnsley Metropolitan Band||Wednesday||6.45pm to 9pm|
|Barnsley Town Concert Band||Monday||6.15pm to 8.15pm|
|Barnsley Junior Band||Wednesday||4.45pm to 5.45pm|
|Barnsley Intermediate Band||Tuesday||4.45pm to 6pm|
|Penistone Junior Band||Tuesday||3.45pm to 4.45pm|
|Barnsley Percussion Ensemble||Thursday||4.30pm to 5.45pm|
|Civic Fusion||Monday||5pm to 6pm|
All of these take place at Barnsley Music Service, The Civic, Hanson Street, Barnsley, S70 2HZ, except Penistone Junior Band which takes place at Penistone St John's Primary School.
Anyone who lives in Barnsley can join the bands, orchestras and ensembles, providing spaces are available and safeguarding checks are cleared.