Zoom Zero Fare Pass for travel to school

A Zoom Zero Fare Pass entitles a child to travel for free on public transport to school and back.

It's valid at certain times in the day, from Monday to Friday during term time only. Its for school age children up to the end of year 11.

It can only be used for travel on public transport. It is valid between the bus stop nearest your home address and the bus stop nearest to your school. These are not dedicated school buses and other fare paying passengers are entitled to use them.

You can apply online for a pass. We don't send out paper applications. 

Who can apply for a Zoom Zero Fare Pass?

Check our mainstream travel options page to see if your child is eligible.

When to apply

If you qualify for a pass it'll last for the full school year. You'll need to reapply each year because we have to check that you're still eligible for a pass. 

You need to apply before 30 June to be sure of receiving your new pass before the start of the school year in September.

Before you start the form

New applications

You'll need to upload a photo. As part of your application you'll be able to either take a photo, or crop one that you already have to the right size. 


You don't need a new photo unless your child's appearance has changed significantly since you first applied. 

All applications

If you're applying because you're on the highest level of Working Tax Credit you'll need to upload your award letter.

You don't need to upload any evidence if you're applying because your child is entitled to free school meals. We'll check our records to confirm this.

What happens after applying

When we receive your application we'll check the details you've given us against our records to decide if your child qualifies for a pass. We'll aim to contact you within 28 days if you're not eligible for a pass. Between May and July however it may take us longer to process your application. This is due to the large number of requests received for the new school year.

If we don't contact you, you can assume that your application has been successful. 

Travel South Yorkshire will send your pass to your home address. 

If you lose your pass you'll need to pay Travel South Yorkshire for a replacement.

Lost or stolen passes

You'll need to email the South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive at zerofares@sypte.co.uk. You can ask them for a replacement pass if yours has been lost or stolen. There's a charge to replace a pass and it'll only be valid up to the date on the original.