Help to find a job

Your local Jobcentre Plus can help you find, prepare for, and stay in work.

Check the information about help with moving from benefits to work on the GOV.UK website.

It includes advice on training and work placements, work experience, volunteering and job trialling, starting your own business, and combining work and caring responsibilities. It also gives you advice about continuing to claim some benefits after you go back to work.

Work clubs

If you’re unemployed, you can join a work club. They're run by local organisations like employers and community groups and give you the chance to share knowledge, experience and job hunting tips.  Visit your local Jobcentre Plus to find out about work clubs in Barnsley. 

Work trials

Try out a job while still claiming benefits.


Restless are an age-diverse employer and support people over 50 to find employment.

Find out more about Rest Less as well as support available for older job seekers looking to find work.

Help with drug and alcohol problems

You may be able to get extra support if you have drug or alcohol problems that are stopping you working.

Your Jobcentre Plus adviser can tell you about the help available from specialist drugs or alcohol treatment professionals in your area, and refer you to their services if you want.

This help is available to anyone getting benefits.

You might be able to get help with costs like childcare and travel.

Work Together (volunteering)

If you're unemployed and looking for work, you can volunteer with a local organisation through the Work Together programme. Your Jobcentre Plus adviser will help you to find a volunteering opportunity.

Benefits of volunteering include gaining work experience and transferable skills, as well as showing initiative and a positive work attitude that can improve your chances of securing a job in the future.

Trying out a job

A work trial gives you the chance to try out a job while still claiming benefits. It can last up to 30 working days, and you might get offered a job at the end.

Work trials are voluntary and your benefits won't be affected if you finish early or turn down a job you're offered.

Your Jobcentre Plus can arrange a work trial for you or you can ask them about how to do this yourself.

More information about all these things is available on the Department of Work and Pensions website.

Easy Read links

Finding a job or work experience

Our values

We're a team

We're honest

We'll be excellent

We're proud


Please leave us some feedback