Buying or renting our land and property

You can find the land and property we have for sale and for let.

You can contact us if you're interested in a piece of land or property. You can enquire about its availability by using our online enquiry form. 

Applications will be considered and the relevant council departments will be consulted. We don't hold details about land and property we don't own.

See our land and property on a map

Authority land and property

View full-screen map

Applications to purchase council-owned land

Each year we receive many applications to buy council-owned land. A large proportion of these applications relate to open space or highway landscaping adjacent to an applicant’s property. Others are from builders or developers who are interested in buying plots of vacant land for house building.

Policy for applications to purchase

All applications are initially assessed to give an estimate of likely disposal value. Please note that our policy now states that land isn't sold for less than £5,000.

Applicants that don't wish to proceed on this basis may be offered another tenancy agreement. This is depends on circumstances of each case. These tenancy agreements will be at pre-determined plot rents as follows:

  • plots up to 50m² annual rent £150 payable by direct debit or standing order
  • plots from 50-100m² annual rent £200 payable by direct debit or standing order
  • plots from 100-200m² annual rent £250 payable by direct debit or standing order
  • plots in excess of 200m² will be considered on application

If the applicant still wishes to progress their application after the initial assessment has been made a non-refundable administration charge of £100 is payable at this point. Should the application be successful, our professional fees will be reduced by £100 on completion of the sale.

For all sales, the applicant will need to meet the cost of our professional fees in addition to the purchase price. The applicant will also have to meet the costs of employing their own professional adviser, usually a solicitor.

In most instances, the applicant will need to obtain planning consent for a change of use before they can acquire the land. The applicant will be responsible for the payment of all costs associated with making the planning application.

Applications to purchase public open space won't be considered. The sole exception is where an applicant is an adjoining commercial organisation or business. Their proposal would also have to be linked to job creation or wider socio-economic benefits. The application may then be considered further.

Housing Right to Buy  

Please read the information here about applying to buy your Berneslai Homes property under the Right to Buy Scheme.