Charitable house- to- house collections licence

You will need a licence from us to make collections of money or articles for charity from houses and other premises. There is no charge for this licence.

This includes collections from public houses. However, if items for collection are left at a number of public houses and collected at a later date, no licence is needed.

How to apply

Please provide proof of identification together with any authorisation from the charity who is to benefit.


Applications may be made using the UK Welcomes webpage on the GOV.UK website (see application forms below).

Accompanying documents may need to be uploaded for submission with the application.

By email

You can download and complete an application form here:

Please return it to and scan in any accompanying documents

By post

Download and print a paper application form here:

Send your applications with any accompanying documents that are required, to:

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, Licensing, Legal Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG

What happens next

Upon receipt of an application, consultation takes place with the police and, in certain cases, the charity commissioners. The council aims to process applications within 14 days.

A statement of return must be submitted within 30 days of the expiry of this licence. If your licence is for a period of greater than three months, a statement of return must be submitted, ideally after each collection, but at least once every three months.

You will only be granted a licence if we are satisfied that you are the fit and proper individual to make such collections.

Tacit consent

If you have not heard from the Licensing Authority by the end of the target completion period of 20 working days you can assume 'tacit consent' to carry out the activities.

The timescales for processing an application does not start until all the necessary information has been received in full.
Tacit consent is only apply for applications that are submitted electronically via the website or when the applicant can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier.