Personal licences (alcohol)

A personal licence is required by the person responsible for the sale of alcohol from premises. This is in addition to the premises licence.

A person applying for a personal licence must be at least 18 years of age and must usually live within the borough boundary.

To apply you must complete both the application form and the disclosure of convictions and declaration form. You should also hold a recognised training qualification and must submit your qualification certificate.

The licence will last for an indefinite duration (unless revoked or surrendered). It will be in two parts.

One part of the personal licence will include a photograph of the holder, name and address of the holder, a unique number, details of the council issuing the licence along with an identifier of that authority, and an expiry date. 

The second part will be in paper form and will contain similar information as mentioned above, but will not contain a photograph of the holder. This part will also contain details of any relevant convictions. 

How much it costs

The fee for a personal licence is £37 and is recognised throughout England and Wales.

It's important to note that unless the application forms are correctly completed and are accompanied by the licensing qualification, criminal conviction or criminal record certificate and licence fee, then your application may be rejected and returned to you.

How to apply

You'll need:

  • a signed and completed application form. Applications may be typed or written legibly in black ink. 
  • a signed and completed disclosure of criminal convictions and declaration form.
  • your original accredited licensing qualification certificate. We cannot accept photocopies.
  • a basic DBS certificate issued no earlier than one calendar month before the submission of the application to the council. We can't accept photocopies. We don't accept Disclosure Scotland certificates or use the DBS update service. 
  • evidence of right to work in the UK, for example a photocopy of your passport. Don't send original documents. Alternatively a nine-digit share code can be generated. For a full list of acceptable documents see note 2 on the application form.
  • two passport-sized photographs that must be endorsed as a true likeness of the applicant.
  • the fee of £37 made via cheque payable to Barnsley MBC. Alternatively you can supply a cover letter with a daytime contact number and you'll be contacted for payment by an officer.

The application will not be fully processed until payment has been received. 

Once complete you must send your application to: Licensing, Legal Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG

For more information contact us online or email us.

Supporting information

If you have a criminal conviction

When applying for a personal licence you must submit a disclosure of convictions and declaration form, along with a criminal record certificate, any of which must not be more than one month old. If it is more than one month old, your application will be rejected and you will have to obtain a new disclosure or check.

The criminal conviction certificate is a basic Criminal Records Disclosure. You can contact the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) by telephone on 03000 200 190 or visit the GOV.UK website for more information about basic DBS checks.

If the applicant fails to meet the relevant or foreign offences criteria, the licensing authority must notify the Chief Officer of Police for their area. The Chief Officer of Police then has 14 days to consider whether, having regard to the nature of the convictions, that the grant of a personal licence would undermine the crime prevention objective. If he feels that this is the case he will then issue an objection notice which must be within the 14 day period. The licensing authority must then hold a hearing to consider the notice, unless all parties agree that this is unnecessary.

The council may reject the application if it considers it necessary for the promotion of the crime prevention objective to do so, or grant the application in any other case. 

Accredited personal licence qualification and training courses

The Secretary of State has accredited a number of Personal Licence qualifications under the Licensing Act 2003.

For information on the licensing qualifications, costs and availability in your area, please visit the GOV.UK website for accredited personal licence qualification providers.

Photo specifications

Photos must be:

  • taken against a light background so that the applicant's features are distinguishable and contrast against the background
  • 45mm x 35mm in size (ie passport size)
  • full face uncovered and without sunglasses and, unless the applicant wears a head covering due to religious beliefs, without a head covering
  • on photographic paper, and
  • one of the photographs must be endorsed with a statement verifying its likeness to the applicant by:
    - the chief executive of the licensing justices for the relevant licensing authority; or
    - a solicitor or notary; or
    - an individual with a professional qualification; or
    - a person with standing in the community eg a bank or building society official, police officer, civil servant or minister of religion.

Lost or stolen personal licences

If your personal licence has been lost or stolen, you must report it to the police. Once you've done this, you must also notify us of the loss or theft in writing, quoting the police reference number.

Your notification should be accompanied by a new passport-style photo of yourself that has been endorsed as a true likeness (see supporting information above). Alternatively, you can email us a new photo accompanied by a copy of photo ID for verification.

You can notify us of a lost or stolen personal licence by emailing, or you can write to us at: Licensing, Legal Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG


The fee for a replacement licence is £10.50 and can be paid over the phone with a debit or credit card (please provide a daytime contact number for us to collect payment). A replacement licence will be issued to you by post.

Change of name and address 

Under section 127 of the Licensing Act 2003 a person commits an offence if they fail, without reasonable excuse, to notify the relevant licensing authority of any change in name or address as soon as reasonably practicable.

If you change your name or move address you must contact the licensing section, even if you move out of the borough.

This notification must be made in writing and be accompanied with your current personal licence and card. If it is not practicable to return the licence you must provide a statement as to why. Please tell us your current contact number and email address.

Your notification should be accompanied by a new passport-style photo of yourself that has been endorsed as a true likeness (see supporting information above). Alternatively, you can email us a new photo accompanied by a copy of photo ID for verification.

There is an admin fee of £10.50 paid either via debit or credit card over the phone.

Once complete you can send this to: Licensing, Legal Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG