Club premises certificate

You may need to apply for a club premises certificate if you’re a social, sporting or political members club. This could be a working men’s club or British Legion.

You need a certificate to:

  • sell or supply alcohol to members or guests
  • provide regulated entertainment, like musical performances or film screenings to members or guests

What the certificate allows

If your club holds a club premises certificate:

  • it may be able to supply alcohol to members and sell it to guests. This can be done without the need for any member or employee to hold a personal licence
  • it doesn’t need to specify a Designated Premises Supervisor
  • police and licensing officers have more limited rights of entry because the premises are private


To qualify for a certificate, your club must make sure that:

  • it has premises that are occupied and used regularly for club purposes
  • alcohol and entertainment is only provided to members and their guests
  • only someone 18 or older who is nominated by the club can serve alcohol or buy it for the club
  • there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially from buying or selling alcohol
  • new members wait two days from their application before getting membership privileges
  • it is established and conducted in good faith
  • it has at least 25 members


All fees under the Licensing Act 2003 are set by the government. Fees are based on the non-domestic rateable (NDR) value of the premises. They're not affected by the variation you're applying for. You can find out the NDR value of your premises on GOV.UK.

NDR values

NDR values are divided into five bands:

Band NDR value
A £0 - £4300 
B £4301 - £33,000 
C £33,001 - £87,000 
D £87,001 - £125,000 
E £125,001 and over

If a premises currently have no rateable value, the following applies:

  • greenfield sites - band A
  • construction commenced - band C

Where a premises is part of a larger premises, the rateable value of the whole premises is applied. Where a premises form part of a site with a number of buildings, the highest rateable value is applied.

The fee for the premises licence depends on the NDR value band: 

Band New application or variation​ Multiplier applied to premises used exclusively or primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises
A £100 N/A
B £190 N/A
C £315 N/A
D £450 x 2 (£900)
E £635 x 3 (£1905)

(Eg: premises with an NDR value of £5000 are in band B, so the fee is £190.)

Annual fee

Once granted, a premises licence incurs an annual fee. This is paid on the anniversary of the licence being granted. We'll send you an invoice when this is due. If you don't pay the fee this could result in the licence being suspended.

Band Annual fee Annual charge multiplier applied to premises used exclusively or primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises
A £70 N/A
B £180 N/A
C £295 N/A
D £320 x 2 (£640)
E £350 x 3 (£1050)

Fees for large events

Exceptionally large events of a temporary nature that need a premises licence are charged an additional fee on top of the premises licence fee. See our premises licence fees and charges page for details.

How to apply

If you wish to apply for a club premises certificate, apply to vary a current certificate, or amend it in any other way, please contact

You may need to give other details. This could include:

  • a plan of the premises
  • a copy of the rules of the club
  • a club operating schedule

Displaying your certificate

You must prominently display the club premises certificate in your club.

Fines and penalties

You can be jailed for up to six months and/or fined if you provide alcohol or entertainment without the certificate or without following it's conditions.