Second hand goods licences

If your main business is buying and selling second-hand goods then you must apply for a second-hand dealer registration certificate which lasts for three years. There's a fee of £17.50 for registration.

You don't need to register your business if you're:

  • a charitable organisation
  • a scrap metal dealer
  • a motor vehicle dealer
  • a dealer in bulk waste paper, cardboard, textiles or plastic
  • a licensed credit or hire business
  • only sometimes selling second hand goods, but your main business is in new unused goods

How to apply

Complete our registration of second hand dealers application form and return it to: Barnsley Council, Trading Standards, Regulatory Services, PO Box 634, Barnsley, South Yorkshire, S70 9GG.

Please contact us if you need help to fill the form in.

Please note:

  • If you're applying to register a limited company, please give the name and registered office of the company.
  • Only include premises in the Barnsley area where you deal in second hand goods.
  • Make sure you provide your postcode.

How to pay 

You can pay by debit or credit card by calling (01226) 773743. Check our pay page to see which cards we accept.