Apply for a new taxi driver's licence

To drive a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle you need to have a taxi driver's licence.

You can apply for a new licence if you have the right to work in the UK and have held a full driving licence for at least 12 months.

If you already have a licence which is about to expire, find out how to renew a taxi driver's licence.

New licences

To apply for a new licence you need to:

  • pass a taxi driver theory test and attend a safeguarding training session;
  • complete a driving assessment;
  • pass an enhanced DBS check;
  • have medical clearance to Group 2 standards;
  • provide two character references (and a Certificate of Good Character from a relevant embassy if required);
  • submit an online application, including uploading evidence that you've completed all of the above.

You may be required to appear before our Licensing Regulatory Board if there's any doubt as to your fitness to hold a licence (such as criminal convictions) before we'll issue you with one. If you've previously applied for a licence and had your application refused, or if you had your licence from us revoked for any reason, you can't apply for a new licence for five years.


Licences are available for either a one or three year period.

The fee for a one year licence is £137 and for a three year licence is £221.

You need to pay additional fees to take the taxi driver theory test, the driving assessment, complete your DBS check, and for a medical assessment if this is required.

How to apply

Due to coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions we're not currently accepting applications for new taxi drivers (unless you passed the taxi driver theory test before 20 March 2020; if you did please contact us online for further advice).

We'll update this webpage with details of how you can apply when we begin accepting new applications.

If you already have a licence which is about to expire, find out how to renew a taxi driver's licence.

Minibus licences

A taxi driver's licence does not allow you to drive a minibus with more than eight seats; you need a Public Service Vehicle (PSV) licence for this.

You can apply for a PSV licence on the GOV.UK website.

Useful documents

The following documents apply to both new and existing drivers, and cover our code of good conduct and policy for assessing a 'fit and proper person' for a taxi driver's licence.