Sport and leisure

If you're thinking about trying a new activity, it's likely that someone is already running a club for that near you.

Whether you want to get fit, are looking for a specific activity or just want to know what's out there, we'll do our best to help you find the group that's right for you.

We can also help with advice for new groups to help them to get started and find funding through Section 106 for example.

We produce a regular newsletter which includes information about sport and leisure events, stories and local promotions. We also include information about funding awards and opportunities. To get the newsletter by email, sign up using the link on this page. 

Sign up to our newsletter

Find out the latest information by signing up to our regular newsletter.

Find a sports club or leisure activity

Search our Live Well directory for a club or activity to suit you. You'll find details for team sports, individual activities, specialist groups and much more. If you're looking for a particular interest or health group, you can filter the search for your specific need.

Pitch hire and safety

You can see a list of football pitches and how to hire them on our Football page.

For information about sports ground safety and certification see our sports ground safety page.

Courses and workshops

Please fill in our enquiry form if you would like further information or support and we will get back to you.

You can find more information on sports coaching courses in South Yorkshire at Yorkshire Sport Foundation, Sport England and UK Coaching.

Event When Where Time Cost
Club matters - Club leadership event Wednesday 3 October 2019 Shaw Lane sports club 6.30pm Free
Club development evening Monday 18 November 2019 Shaw Lane Sports club 6.00pm Free

Contact us online to book.

Frequently asked questions about Section 106 funding

What is Section 106 funding?

Under Section 106 (s106) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, as amended, contributions can be sought from developers towards the costs of providing community and social infrastructure. This money is to reduce the impact a development has on an area. This funding is commonly known as 'Section 106'.

What types of sport and physical activity projects can Section 106 money support?

Section 106 funding is available for capital projects only. Funds may only be spent on new facilities or improvements to facilities. Funds may be used for the provision, improvement, or adaptation of:

  • indoor and outdoor sports facilities and associated required facilities (eg changing rooms and canopies).
  • outdoor leisure and recreational provision including amenity green spaces, natural green spaces, pathways, parks and recreation grounds and youth activity areas.

Examples of eligible projects include:

  • installation of an artificial turf pitch.
  • upgrading of play area with new equipment.
  • purchase of land for additional pitches.
  • extension of community hall.
  • informal youth facilities - ball courts, skate parks, youth shelters etc.
  • new car parking area if directly related to sport/recreation facility.

When planning and building facilities and carrying out projects, applicants are advised to consider best practice guidance provided by Sport England and the relevant national governing bodies.

What can't be supported by Section 106 funds

Costs related to revenue expenditure or costs which mostly relate to the maintenance of existing facilities such as minor repairs, replacement or redecoration are highly unlikely to be funded. Section 106 funding isn't an opportunity to solve existing deficiencies as these should be planned into a club’s budget planning process. Planning permission and architect drawings need to be paid from club funds. Movable equipment items are also excluded from the scheme.

Examples of projects that are unlikely to be eligible for funding include:

  • patch repairs to an artificial turf pitch.
  • goal posts or other movable sports equipment.
  • replacement boiler.
  • items or projects which only benefit an individual.

How much funding is available?

The amount of funding available for individual areas will depend on the amount of money received by us through the planning process. There may be some areas where no money is available until a new development comes forward and brings in money. There is no upper limit to what funding can be applied for, although this will obviously be limited to how much is available. The assessment panel can make the decision to offer part of the funding requested as opposed to the whole amount.

Funding can't be increased if project costs increase.

Is match funding required?

Funds may be awarded for the entire project, particularly for smaller applications, but applicants are positively encouraged to seek funding from other grant bodies and community sources. Additional contributions demonstrate wider partnership support, commitment to the scheme and increase overall value for money. Applications that include an element of match funding will be assessed more favourably than if there was no match funding.

Applications that show a cash contribution from their own funds will also be seen favourably.

Who can apply for Section 106 Funds?


  • To be eligible for a s106 grant a project must provide improved or increased community or social infrastructure.
  • Backdated funding isn't allowed. Section 106 funding cannot pay for work that has already been completed.
  • The organisation must be based in Barnsley. If the organisation is based on the border of Barnsley with another borough, 80 percent of the users/beneficiaries must be Barnsley residents.
  • The applying organisation must be a local voluntary, charity, community, or not-for-profit organisation that is properly constituted with it's own bank account.
  • If an organisation has annual subscriptions, joining fees and session charges they should be reasonably priced.
  • We're required by law to pay ‘due regard’ to advancing equality of opportunity, fostering good relations, and getting rid of discrimination for people sharing protected characteristics, as set out in the public sector equality duty (at section 149 of the Equalities Act 2010). We'll not support projects that do not support the aims of the public sector equality duty, for example a funding bid for building works that doesn't consider the needs of disabled people.
  • Organisations must have a safeguarding policy for children and vulnerable adults, insurance, and health and safety policies in place, where appropriate.
  • Applicants must establish if planning permission is required before applying for s106 funds.
  • Applicants need to submit three quotes for work valued over £20,000.

How are applications assessed?

Organisations are asked to complete an application template. This is designed to ensure that all appropriate information is gathered to enable a fair assessment. The template assesses against the elements of general club information, whether the project will help towards delivery of a council objective(s), financial information, deliverability, usage, and community support.

No two projects are the same. They're assessed against a variety of evidence including local community needs. Therefore, applications for two projects similar in nature could be awarded in one area but rejected in another.

When is the money available?

The Section 106 agreement will specify trigger points when we can collect payments from the developer eg when the 100th house is sold. Each agreement has different trigger points. The panel may consider an application before the money has been received by us if the development is underway. However, if the application is successful, a funding agreement will not be drafted until we have collected the payment from the developer. Therefore, work should not be initiated by the club until the funding agreement has been signed.

Can an application be agreed ‘in principle’?

Yes. Applications can be agreed ‘in principle’ while waiting for confirmation of match funding, planning permission etc. However, the project must commence within 12 months of this agreement.

What are the monitoring requirements?

We ask successful applicants to produce an impact report on completion of the project. Information must be provided on:

  • which groups of people and how many people have benefited from the project?
  • how the success will be celebrated?
  • if there will be any publicity associated with the project?
  • we may use information provided on social media.

How to apply

Email and a sport and physical activity officer will contact you to discuss your project informally. This will include an initial assessment of whether the application meets the relevant criteria and whether other sources of funding have been sought. If you meet the criteria and there is Section 106 funding available, you will be sent an application template to complete. Once completed, an officer will work with you and submit the application to the s106 Panel. The panel meet every two months.