Moving Mental Health Forward
We want to be a safe and inclusive network that supports good mental health. We can do this through sport and physical activity.
In Barnsley, we look out for each other and help each other out. The Moving Mental Health Forward Network is made up of sport and physical activity organisations, groups and clubs. We're all working together to create a better place for the discussion about mental wellbeing. We want to become a force to address poor mental health locally.
Why are we developing this network?
- 1 in 10 children and young people have a mental health illness.
- 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem of some kind each year in England.
- 1 in 6 people report they have a common mental health problem in any given week in England.
- 1 in 5 people have suicidal thoughts.
- 1 in 14 people self-harm.
- 1 in 16 people attempt suicide.
We can have a positive effect on the people around us by:
- Raising awareness of mental health
- Making sure we have a positive mental health culture.
Why become part of the network?
By joining the Moving Mental Health Forward Network your organisation, group or club will:
- Use the power of sport and physical activity to change how we talk about mental health.
- Help and support the people around your organisation, group or club talk about problems they may be facing.
- Show how your organisation, group or club is proud of and supports positive mental health in Barnsley. You can access tools to promote this, social media packs, images and more.
- Have the chance to take part in network events.
- Have access to a small grant fund to support your organisation, group, or club in supporting positive mental wellbeing. This could be used for staff/volunteer activities, events, communications.
- Be connected to various services that can support your members, supporters, workforce, or the families of those people.
- Attract new members by promoting your organisation, group, or club as a proud, positive, and supportive place.
- Build unity and strength by creating a place where we can all support each other.
It's free to join and the process of getting involved is really easy.
How to get involved in the network
To be part of the network you'll need to complete a small submission against five principles. These help promote a positive a mental health culture.
You access help and support for each of the principles, so please feel free to contact us. This may include resources, funding, or advice.
After doing this, you'll gain a recognition award. You can proudly display this to show that you're helping to create a positive mental health culture.
You'll then be able to:
- Use our digital and printed resources
- Use our communications pack
- Show your award
- Apply for a Moving Mental Health Forward Activation Grant. This will help you create a positive mental health culture in your setting.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
Register you interest in the network
To show your interest in the network, you'll have to complete the Moving Mental Health Forward Principles document. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and request a copy. You'll need to fill this in and send back to us.